What Kind if ANY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crs1945

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind if any shrimp would survive the following: 5gal,temp78,NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3 5-10ppm, pH8.3, GH-6, KH-9, gravel bottom. 2 guppies and one platy??? Thanks:cool:

Your guppies and platy should be in a 10 gallon. If you want to do the 5 gallon as a shrimp only tank, I'd highly recommend red cherry shrimp.

If you have not kept any other shrimp before, move the platy and guppies to a ten gallon and get some Red Cherry Shrimp. They are pretty easy to care for, and a blast to watch.

I know this is off topic, but...
Livebearers should be in a 20 gallon or larger tank due to their size and bio-load. Some (Like Lyndab) say that a ten gallon is sufficient. I have done that before, even kept mollies in there. One molly died less than 5 months after purchase, even though I did 50% water changes diligently, and weekly. It's just overall NOT a good idea. I do vote for a bigger tank for the platy and guppies... at least.

Definitely an easier Neocardinia species. Take your pick at which, and acclimate them well

phoenixkiller said:
If you have not kept any other shrimp before, move the platy and guppies to a ten gallon and get some Red Cherry Shrimp. They are pretty easy to care for, and a blast to watch.

I know this is off topic, but...
Livebearers should be in a 20 gallon or larger tank due to their size and bio-load. Some (Like Lyndab) say that a ten gallon is sufficient. I have done that before, even kept mollies in there. One molly died less than 5 months after purchase, even though I did 50% water changes diligently, and weekly. It's just overall NOT a good idea. I do vote for a bigger tank for the platy and guppies... at least.

Not all livebearers are big and have huge bioloads. A trio of guppies would be fine in a 10g, and least killifish, which are only an inch long at the most, can be in a tank less than 5gs. Mollies shouldn't have even been in a tank that small in the first place. However, if the tank was cycled with adequate filtration, it shouldn't have died. The only cause of their death that I can think of is owner irresponsibility.

Not all livebearers are big and have huge bioloads. A trio of guppies would be fine in a 10g, and least killifish, which are only an inch long at the most, can be in a tank less than 5gs. Mollies shouldn't have even been in a tank that small in the first place. However, if the tank was cycled with adequate filtration, it shouldn't have died. The only cause of their death that I can think of is owner irresponsibility.
Yes, that is just my opinion. 10 gallons is workable, but I say it's more like you living in your room. Sure, you've got room to live and grow, but wouldn't you be much happier if you had a house, and the yard outside? That's why I say 20 gallons. Gives the fish a bit 'o "elbow room".

phoenixkiller said:
Yes, that is just my opinion. 10 gallons is workable, but I say it's more like you living in your room. Sure, you've got room to live and grow, but wouldn't you be much happier if you had a house, and the yard outside? That's why I say 20 gallons. Gives the fish a bit 'o "elbow room".

A guppy gets to be 2 inches at max. A 10g tank is 20x10. 200 square inches is plenty of swimming room. Even lots of "elbow room". You can't give a minimum tank size for ALL livebearers based on one experience you've had with a molly. There are so many different sizes and shape of them, it is not possible to come up with a minimum size tank for the whole family.

A guppy gets to be 2 inches at max. A 10g tank is 20x10. 200 square inches is plenty of swimming room. Even lots of "elbow room". You can't give a minimum tank size for ALL livebearers based on one experience you've had with a molly. There are so many different sizes and shape of them, it is not possible to come up with a minimum size tank for the whole family.
I will repeat this AGAIN: this is my opinion. Not everyone will agree. You can say that they will do great in a 10 gallon, and I will respect that, and I will say I recommend a 20 gallon.

Nano tanks are better for nano fish, plants, and shrimp IMO. It's all just personal opinion, I'm just saying bigger is better.

phoenixkiller said:
I will repeat this AGAIN: this is my opinion. Not everyone will agree. You can say that they will do great in a 10 gallon, and I will respect that, and I will say I recommend a 20 gallon.

Nano tanks are better for nano fish, plants, and shrimp IMO. It's all just personal opinion, I'm just saying bigger is better.

OK. My point was that bigger is better, but not needed if it's guppies or other small livebearers. I understand that it is your opinion. My issue was that you are trying to use a catch all rule for all livebearers, which is inaccurate and unnecessary.

OK. My point was that bigger is better, but not needed if it's guppies or other small livebearers. I understand that it is your opinion. My issue was that you are trying to use a catch all rule for all livebearers, which is inaccurate and unnecessary.
If you are truly bothered by it, I will remember to add (when referring to guppies) that ten gallons is the minimum, but 20 gallons is better.

phoenixkiller said:
If you are truly bothered by it, I will remember to add (when referring to guppies) that ten gallons is the minimum, but 20 gallons is better.
It really doesn't matter. The guppy or guppies will be happy either way as long as their tank is cycled, correctly maintained, and has enough filtration.

Lol! Its hilarious how you two wrote a combined 1 sentence about shrimp...and thats the topic.

I'd definitly go for red cherry shrimp. Pretty easy to keep and really fun to watch! They breed easily too so you could go down a whole new route of keeping and try to maybe sell some one day. I have ghost shrimp in my 2.5 gallon. They are cool, but obviously not very colorful!:/ lol

OK....back on topic.
I would also recommend moving the fish and perhaps trying an easy planted tank and some RCS. Mine aren't even heated.

If you want fish in a 5g. look at Chili Rasboras or CPDs or Scarlet Badis. All prefer a heavily planted tank, but they are awesome.

This is my 10g Shrimp Jungle
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

I would NOT recommend adding ANYTHING to the tank with the current fish. Shrimp are sensitive to Nitrates and that Platy will tend to really pollute such a small tank very fast. Keep an eye on your water tests till you rehome or move the fish to larger quarters. Keep up on water changes diligently as well or your fish will suffer.

Keep reading and learning. I appreciate you posting your exact parameters :)

Back
Top Bottom