What kind of crayfish is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoboFish808

Aquarium Advice Regular
At my new LFS job. They have lots of these and I can’t find them on google. Blue and Red claws IMG_1782.jpg

That is the Cherax Alyciae, Blue Kong Zebra Crayfish (some call this orange claw with blue tip variety the "Blue Kong Red Claw"). They're bred in Papua New Guinea. Slow grower but they get big, 5-6 inches.

Like most crays they are aggressive and cannibalistic and will eat anything they can catch--fish, shrimp, snails, particularly bottom feeders and slow movers. They like to dig - the crayfish default setting! - particularly dig up plants, and eat dead plant matter. In fact, having dead leaves in there along with the usual food will please it very much. They are climbers, so they definitely need a lid.

Yeah, I was wondering too...where is the store? Do they ship? This type is a bit hard to find.

Yeah, I was wondering too...where is the store? Do they ship? This type is a bit hard to find.

Beitals Aquariums largest store left in the tri state area I believe I don’t know if we ship but do all sorts of services and even custom glass work

That is the Cherax Alyciae, Blue Kong Zebra Crayfish (some call this orange claw with blue tip variety the "Blue Kong Red Claw"). They're bred in Papua New Guinea. Slow grower but they get big, 5-6 inches.

Like most crays they are aggressive and cannibalistic and will eat anything they can catch--fish, shrimp, snails, particularly bottom feeders and slow movers. They like to dig - the crayfish default setting! - particularly dig up plants, and eat dead plant matter. In fact, having dead leaves in there along with the usual food will please it very much. They are climbers, so they definitely need a lid.

I’m quite experienced with Crays I currently have a 7 inch electric blue, a big marmokreb, a nice Clarkii, several CPO, and hundreds of Marmo baby clones

It’s amazing how crayfish can be so satisfied off dead leaves alone once they have matured. I have my electric blue in with my flagfish and it’s a beautiful little aggressive-vegetarian setup. What a paradox

Thank you for the ID and detailed info

I would have to ask, as not many livestock items are marked

Whoever orders or manages the department, usually would have a shipping list so they can price them, which would have the name they were sent in with. Which may or not be correct.

Good luck with the puzzle. Pretty sure we've zero-ed in to, at least the Genus.

Back
Top Bottom