What Kind of Octopus Do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalaGuppieGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
My boyfriend wants an Octopus so bad and I would love to get him one for Christmas but have no Idea on what kind to get. We have never had one before and have only had fresh water tanks to this point. Any Advice?

I like how they list the octopi as Indo-pacific and later refer to them as caribean :)

Yeah that's the only issue I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had read that there are some fresh water Octopus. I was looking into the Carribbean and the dwarf. Are these good choices? I know the Caribbean needs a 70 gal tank and I have read about how to escape proof a tank. How many gallons does the dwarf need? I also read that you wont see them much at all.

There are definitely no freshwater octopi. These are difficult and very intelligent creatures that require a lot of work and don't live very long. They require live food and are masters of disguise. I'd pass especially if you've never done sw.

Uhmmm, if you have not been keeping saltwater fish and invertebrates for at least a decade, then please do not even think of keeping an octopus.
Octopi are relegated to the expert of the experts level of knowledge/experience.
I've been doing this for over forty years and still don't think I would want to hassle with trying to keep an octopus.
They have much more demanding water quality requirements, even more so than corals and they also need an environment that is designed specifically for them, and that goes a lot further than securing the lid.
Octopi have been known to die of boredom as well.
Just getting one and putting it in your average salt tank is just a death sentence for the octopus.

Tell your boyfriend he likes guppies. ;)

There are definitely no freshwater octopi. These are difficult and very intelligent creatures that require a lot of work and don't live very long. They require live food and are masters of disguise. I'd pass especially if you've never done sw.

Uhmmm, if you have not been keeping saltwater fish and invertebrates for at least a decade, then please do not even think of keeping an octopus.
Octopi are relegated the expert of the experts level of knowledge/experience.
I've been doing this for over forty years and still don't think I would want to hassle with trying to keep an octopus.
They have much more demanding water quality requirements, even more so than corals and they also need an environment that designed is specifically for them, and that goes a lot further than securing the lid.
Octopi have been known to die of boredom as well.
Just getting one and putting it in your average salt tank is just a death sentence for the octopus.

Tell your boyfriend he likes guppies. ;)

+1 on both of these posts !!! And as for FW octopi, the only one I've seen are plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thank you all for the advice. Some of this I have read from Google but you all are much more helpful. I actually would not be doing this on my own, I will have help from those who have had salt for years but now I am wondering if that is even enough haha. I guess I will just have to keep studying and start some salt tanks. Thanks

At least you had the good sense to do the research and ask for advice ! Too many times, people just decide to go get that exotic creature and then find out what's involved in keeping it healthy and happy much too late. So good on you.

An octopus is at the top of my list as well. But after researching their care requirements and how short of a life span they have... I decided that it was a pipe dream to have one.

Back
Top Bottom