What kind of Snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbrawley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I introduced plants to my tank shot a month ago, and this guy has been in the tank since. I'm curious about what kind of Snail this is, and if I should try and rid the tank of the snails (there are now little ones around).
IMG_1483661204.143071.jpg

Looks like a pond snail. They can breed at a rapid rate. Especially if you over feed your fish. Personally, I don't mind them. I also have them, rams horn, and Malaysian trumpet snails in my Planted tank.

Thanks for the response. I don't think I'll worry about it until they take over the tank. (In that case I'll get some assassin snails).

What are assassin snails? :)

Assassin snails are also really cool looking. Beautiful black and yellow conical shells. They also eat dead fish very quickly in case you don't catch it. They can really "get up in there" and eat the insides before it causes water quality issues. I tend to leave the leftover scales and skin or whatever to dissolve back into the water. Assassins also don't reproduce prolifically like other snails.

Back
Top Bottom