What Kind of Snails are These?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelvelez87

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of snails are these? I found them on a river in a tour here in puerto rico!!

image-3727540224.jpg

They look awesome!!

Thats what someon in a local aquarium told me! I hope so! If they are nerita snails they are safe for my tanks right??

Sake is right. They're a 'baseball cap' Nerite, I believe.

Coursair also knows her stuff.

They're safe in the respect that they wont eat your tank's plants.

You should bring a few back for me and MABJ! Or just me ;)

Aw I can't take more nerites :( I wish though! They look cool.

Nerites are actually quite common all along coastal regions in estuarine and even full seawater environments. I'm far from snail expert though so I don't like IDing stuff since theres tons and tons of species out there. I believe there are multiple nerite species in our part of the world, but the really cool ones like the horned, corona, etc are all from overseas.

:) yes guys they are looking good in my tanks!! I'd love to send you some but i dont know how to to be honest with you! I've never trully believe in shipping live animals because of bad experiences!!

Lol I was just teasing a bit is all and saying what a wonderful find!

Thank you thank you!! I took like 10 of them but i could have taken like a 100 cause they were everywhere on the river!! And a very cold water temp too!!

angelvelez87 said:
Thank you thank you!! I took like 10 of them but i could have taken like a 100 cause they were everywhere on the river!! And a very cold water temp too!!

What did you find them grazing on?

They're definitely nerites foraging for algae, then.

Make sure you have an established tank and supplement them with algae wafers.

Little disks of algae and other foods made specifically for algae eaters, you can get some at petsmart or petco.

There's different kinds, from low grade (Wardleys) high grade (hikari).

They do the same thing, but don't always feed low grades.

I fed them tonight with some wafers for plecos and algae eaters with Sera brand! Plus some shrimp pellets for my cory cats too!

So jealous wish I could catch some nerite snails! My lfs has some I'll get at a later date when I set up another tank..and another...and another...*sigh* soo many tanks that I want!

Back
Top Bottom