What should I know about CRS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beandoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking that I will try to breed some Red Cherry Shrimp in my 3 gallon. How many should I get? What should I feed them? Should I get plants? What should the substrate be? I will definitely put moss balls in. Also, what else do I need to know.

For a 3g I'd say start with 5 to 10. They do best in an established tank.

Lots of different shrimip foods available and they aren't picky. Just be careful not to overfeed. I only feed my shrimp tanks every other day.

They do appreciate plants. Other things that support biofilm (cholla wood, Indian almond leaves, etc) are also helpful.

Substrate isn't an issue. I've kept them in tanks with standard gravel, sand, EcoComplete.

edit: above info is from my experience with red cherry shrimp, not CRS

For a 3g I'd say start with 5 to 10. They do best in an established tank.

Lots of different shrimip foods available and they aren't picky. Just be careful not to overfeed. I only feed my shrimp tanks every other day.

They do appreciate plants. Other things that support biofilm (cholla wood, Indian almond leaves, etc) are also helpful.

Substrate isn't an issue. I've kept them in tanks with standard gravel, sand, EcoComplete.

edit: above info is from my experience with red cherry shrimp, not CRS

I will get 7 to start to keep a low bio-load.

Red cherry shrimp really thrive in an established tank with plenty of planting, particularly moss. I keep a small colony in my QT and they breed like mad but only they really took off when the tank became of age. I put all new fish in with the shrimp and they get conditioned quickly by snacking on the baby shrimps. The colony stays stable despite the best efforts of the fish.
The shrimp, if not over fed, have negligible effect on bio-load.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445117463.566971.jpg
My QT with a new batch of cardinals.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom