What's wrong with my Mystery Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuvSandwiches

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new snail couple days ago and he/she seemed to be doing ding till this afternoon. He's just kind of lipped out of his shell and he isn't going in. He almost looks kind of swollen to me. (Not sure if it is a he, that's just what I'm going with)

The tank is a 20 gallon with two angels and two other snails.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 10.41.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 10.41.08 PM.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 325
If you pick it up and it doesn't retract..... :(

If you dare to sniff and smell it; if it smells like rotting death then it will pretty much solve the mystery of the Mystery snail. Just have a plastic bag at the ready for disposal.

It's alive. I picked it up out of the water and it just kind of looked at me with its snaily eyes. I even tried poking it a bit. He twitched but that's about it. Definitely not dead, I can tell you that. :/

I get that sometimes they like to take like 2 day power naps and be dormant but....he isn't going in his shell and they normally do that?

Hi, have you checked your parameters? It looks like the snail has a swollen foot which can be caused by ammonia or nitrate being high.
To help the swelling, take some tank water and place it in a dish, put the snail on the dish making sure there's enough water to just cover it's foot. Keep a close eye on him as they have a habit of going walkies! You can leave him in the dish for a few minutes and this can be repeated every hour till the swelling goes down. Hope he recovers for you.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom