Will ghost shrimp survive overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakerfan824

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to get some ghost shrimp to help keep my tank clean. However, I live 2 hours from the nearest pet store so I don't get there very often. My sister is going to university in the city, and I was going to get her to bring me some shrimp when she comes home this weekend. However, because of her class schedule, she won't be able to get to a pet store Friday before she leaves. Will the ghost shrimp survive overnight if she picks them up Thursday evening and they don't get into the tank until Friday evening? What can I tell her to do to optimize their survival chances??

Also, how many shrimp do you think I should get? I have a 55 gallon bow front community tank that's lightly planted. Are ghost shrimp my best bet? I picked them cuz they seem easy-ish to care for and shouldn't be too hard to find. My pet stores have limited selection sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want to get some ghost shrimp to help keep my tank clean. However, I live 2 hours from the nearest pet store so I don't get there very often. My sister is going to university in the city, and I was going to get her to bring me some shrimp when she comes home this weekend. However, because of her class schedule, she won't be able to get to a pet store Friday before she leaves. Will the ghost shrimp survive overnight if she picks them up Thursday evening and they don't get into the tank until Friday evening? What can I tell her to do to optimize their survival chances??

Also, how many shrimp do you think I should get? I have a 55 gallon bow front community tank that's lightly planted. Are ghost shrimp my best bet? I picked them cuz they seem easy-ish to care for and shouldn't be too hard to find. My pet stores have limited selection sometimes.

Yes they should survive.

After your sister picks them up. Place then in a small box to reduce their stress. Then leave them in her house/apt until she leave to come see you. When you get them drip acclimate them for a greater success rate, at least one hour.

As far as how many it depends on the fish you have and how many of them. I would say start with 20.

I started with glass shrimp too. They're fun and easy to care for.

Okay awesome! This is great news because I really didn't want to wait a month + till I get to the city to get some additions to my tank. I will check out glass shrimp as well!

Oh my bad. After a quick google I see glass shrimp are just another name for ghost haha. I'm new to shrimp if you can't tell ;P

Sorry to have confused you. I started with ghost shrimp (aka glass shrimp) and they are pretty cool. But then I wanted something different....something with a bit of color and thats when I got into red cherry shrimp (RCS). I didn't have any around so I bought some off eBay.

So if you can't wait, just order online.

No worries! Yeah I'd like to eventually get some different varieties too. Ordering online isn't really an option unfortunately, as I live in rural Canada and it's almost impossible to find someone that will ship her.

Putting the bag of fish in a cooler is great for evening out temperature swings in the car.

I too want to maybe get some ghosties! Is it true you can see their little eggs in their body since they are clear? What temps do they like? Will they be ok in a newly cycled tank or do they prefer an aged tank?

NatureFish
????

I'm definitely no expert (as I've already demonstrated in this thread :p) but from the research I've done they like a temp of 74-82 F. They're also very sensitive to water parameters

Oh sensitive huh? That's probably not going to work since I'm a total newbie

NatureFish
????

I think what they're really sensitive about is sudden changes to the water. That's why you're supposed to drip acclimate them, so they can slowly adjust to the water in your tank.

I too want to maybe get some ghosties! Is it true you can see their little eggs in their body since they are clear? What temps do they like? Will they be ok in a newly cycled tank or do they prefer an aged tank?

NatureFish
????

You can see the eggs in all freshwater shrimp. All caridinas/neocaridinas/ghost shrimp.

I'm so excited for you to get your ghost shrimp!!! I hope to learn from your experiences as a new shrimp owner.

NatureFish
????

Does anyone think RCS are easier to keep than ghost shrimp? It looks like it from what I've read on google.

NatureFish
????

Really? I heard cherry shrimp are so hardy some people put them in ponds! Why are ghost shrimp easier?

NatureFish
????

Really? I heard cherry shrimp are so hardy some people put them in ponds! Why are ghost shrimp easier?

NatureFish
????

Because neocaridina don't do well in high ph, hard water, and high nitrates. They will not tolerate what most people think is an acceptable of nitrates. and any traces of ammonia/nitrites will kill them. Which means if you clean your filter too much, they're toast. Ghost shrimp are commonly kept in beginner, uncycled aquariums. And they're like 75 cents at most places.

Back
Top Bottom