Will ramshorn snails kill shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Had some rcs shrimp in my 10g tank. There are also some snails and fish in there. So far I have seen two dead rcs, and one of them was being eaten by a ramshorn snail. Is this normal? Should they not be together? The other shrimp seem to be healthy...

Had some rcs shrimp in my 10g tank. There are also some snails and fish in there. So far I have seen two dead rcs, and one of them was being eaten by a ramshorn snail. Is this normal? Should they not be together? The other shrimp seem to be healthy...

You may have seen an RCS that was in the process of moulting and was eaten by the snail while it was unable to move. That happened to a bamboo shrimp I had. He was going into moult and while he couldn't move an apple snail ate his face.

You may have seen an RCS that was in the process of moulting and was eaten by the snail while it was unable to move. That happened to a bamboo shrimp I had. He was going into moult and while he couldn't move an apple snail ate his face.

So pissed! This is real?! I don't have another tank to move them to! And most of them died from being foolishly placed with a gourami, and then in an uncycled tank till I got rid of the gourami. Now they are not even safe from snails?!?!

I have kept shrimp with ramshorn snails brilliant for the past few years, my rams only ever eat a moult from the shrimp or a fish/shrimp that is actually already dead.

So reading this may have taught me something. Are yall saying that when a shrimp gurns upside down and twitches hisnlegs he is not necessarily dead/dying? I always thought they were dead!

So reading this may have taught me something. Are yall saying that when a shrimp gurns upside down and twitches hisnlegs he is not necessarily dead/dying? I always thought they were dead!

Huh? I'm pretty sure that means they are dead. But I am far from an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. What does a molting shrimp look like?

I think a newly molted shrimp would have some mobility (albeit limited) to prevent a snail attack. I have had quite a few shrimp die shortly after molting. May have been due to the hardness or amount of calcium present. I added some cuttlebone to boost the calcium. So far shrimp deaths have been reduced (planting is pretty dense so I can't see everything that goes on in there). I also received an order of 20 shrimps from another members about a month ago and there are numerous baby shrimp of different sizes in there now.

I have had RH snails in with my shrimp for years and never seen/or noticed any snail eating a living, healthy shrimp. Also have had baby/young Mystery snails in too and never seen one eat a live shrimp. Too many snails though and they can eat almost all your shrimp's food and the shrimp might not get what they need. So I now keep some snails but not too many, in my shrimp tanks.

Often a shrimp dies while molting and a snail would be all over that.

Dwarf shrimp should be in mature, stable tanks and if it is a new or not very stable tank with a good amount of established BB, you can have problems with not having enough micro food for them to pick at.

What were the water parameters when they died?

I have had RH snails in with my shrimp for years and never seen/or noticed any snail eating a living, healthy shrimp. Also have had baby/young Mystery snails in too and never seen one eat a live shrimp. Too many snails though and they can eat almost all your shrimp's food and the shrimp might not get what they need. So I now keep some snails but not too many, in my shrimp tanks. Often a shrimp dies while molting and a snail would be all over that. Dwarf shrimp should be in mature, stable tanks and if it is a new or not very stable tank with a good amount of established BB, you can have problems with not having enough micro food for them to pick at. What were the water parameters when they died?

Water parameters were good. I'm sure it was from transferring tanks. I had to move them to my 10g guppy tank because their tank is cycling and hopefully growing all the micro food you are talking about

Water parameters were good. I'm sure it was from transferring tanks. I had to move them to my 10g guppy tank because their tank is cycling and hopefully growing all the micro food you are talking about

So it is a new tank. It takes time. Me not especially being the scientific research type, I can't say how long. If you have any rocks or decorations which might be older from an established tank. Those will have some biofilm on them. Wait to move them over until your tank is established after cycling and stable not having spikes of any kind.

This might be a little bit. You can even move a few fish into the new tank after cycling, for a while to season it, and get the biofilm established before moving the shrimp over.

I haven't ever put Dwarf shrimp into a brand new tank, only ones which had been running for a few months to years, with fish in them, until recently. The tank had been up for a couple months, started with BB filter pad and snails. But they are looking fine and there are many plants and DW and a couple rocks in the tank too for them to pick on. 12G tank for 6 Blue Velvet shrimp, lol. But the star attraction will be Tangerine Tiger Shrimp, coming soon!!! :dance:

You might also be able to grow some "algae" rocks in a window sill.

Get a clear thin glass vase (from your cupboard, thrift store, yard sale), I guess a jar would work to but not be as decorative, big enough to hold 2-4 hand fulls of rocks.

Get some river stones... clean well to make sure there isn't any weed killer/ pesticides/ weird living pond creatures, or chemicals from a factory, depending if you get them from your yard/decorative rock landscape supply company, creek, craft store or fish store.

Gently put the rocks into the vase and fill to a normal level with fish tank water you would be getting from a pwc, you want it with the ammonia and food, doesn't have to be very dirty water. It is a little natural fertilizer.

Then set it into a sunny window, the more time in the sun the better and it will start growing algae. Then top it off with new pwc water whenever you need to refill due to evaporation. It should start growing you some algae on the rocks, then you can add these algae rocks for your shrimp on a regular basis, rotating them in and out as they pick them over.

Fish like it too some times, and of course Otos and Plecos :brows:, so you can make your own supplement for them.

If the water happens to ever get smelly just change out the water and rinse with new pwc water.

You can add a Arrowhead/Pothos (possible irritating sap), Chinese Evergreen (toxic seeds and some parts), Anthurium, Peace lily plant (also have the insoluble calcium oxalate) in the top or some other kind of house plant cutting to give it additional interest. If you use a fresh cutting, put it into a different cup/drinking glass/jar/vase in water until the cutting part kinda heals up. This is a precaution, in case the plant has any drippy plant juice oozing from the stem, so it wont get onto your algae rocks. Some plants have irritating or mildly toxic sap. I have used the Arrowhead plants for years in my fish tanks, also personally used the Anthurium too and planted bowls and never had any problems.

Disclaimer: Check if you have kids or cats or dogs (pets) about if the plant you might want to use would have toxic leaves, berries or sap. Here is a link in case you might be interested. Most all the common house plants have some issue.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants | ASPCA

Thanks for all the great information! That's a pretty good idea growing algae on a rock. I've got some small ones in mind.

Omg ramshorns with shrimp that's a deadly combo. Everyone knows ramshorns are cold hearted killers

If you're going to grow alage on rocks, I've had the best luck with marble chips or the ceramic media for filters.. the ones that look like little cement tubes. Other rocks work, but not polished ones, and some rocks just don't grow algae, why I wish I knew.

I've yet to see a snail kill anything.. but they will be all over anything dead, soon as they find or smell it.

Newly moulted shrimp are not totally immobile, but they are very soft 'til the shell hardens, which limits them quite a bit. Typically they moult where they can hide, or close to a hiding spot, and then hide 'til they harden.

If a predator does find a newly moulted shrimp, the shrimp cannot use it's claws to defend itself and it can't swim away like it would once it's shell firms up. So they are vulnerable for a period of time right after they moult. I don't put it past a hungry snail to eat one if it happened to crawl onto one at the right moment, but I doubt it happens very often. But shrimp are fairly low down on the feeding pyramid.. they are eaten by a wide variety of other creatures, mostly alive, and always after death.

We think of them as expensive pets, but other critters mostly think of them as dinner, sadly enough.

Back
Top Bottom