Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will shrimp ever pick a fish fins?

I had my beautiful elephant eared betta fish in with ember tetras who were apparently supposed to NOT be fin nippers based on articles online and even the fish store experts at a private fish store near me, but they nipped my betta fins to shreds, I had to bring them back to the pet store. I have a very very heavily planted 10 gallon tank with driftwood, moss wall, huge Anubis plants, Indian almond leaf, Java ferns that have multiplied and Ive tied to the driftwood and floating hornwort. Its so dense with plants I was thinking I could get away with 4 ghost shrimp to help clean up some algae and gunk and keep the plants looking clean. They would be hard for the betta to see, and probably to fast for him and theyd have so many hiding spots. II just do not want to risk it if they may pick at me bettas fins. I mean Id imagine hed turn around a eat them if they did, so theyd probably stay away?

Old 09-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ghost shrimp can be aggressive, I wouldn't use them, but the Cherry Shrimp are more docile, and be alright. They would likely be able to hide from the Betta in dense planting. Amano shrimp are a little aggressive with food. And for that reason, I would not use them in the tank until the Betta was healed up.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, fins, fish, ick, pic, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com