Would RCS be okay in a fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 10 gallon full of 3 week old betta fry, and I would like to move my RCS in there so that the bettas can get used to them before they get older and try to eat them.
I'm not worried about the fry eating the shrimp, I'm worried about the shrimp damaging fry. Is that a real risk? Or am I worrying about nothing?

So I have a 10 gallon full of 3 week old betta fry, and I would like to move my RCS in there so that the bettas can get used to them before they get older and try to eat them.
I'm not worried about the fry eating the shrimp, I'm worried about the shrimp damaging fry. Is that a real risk? Or am I worrying about nothing?

The RCS won't hurt your fry at all, I'd be more worried if you said you were putting Ghost Shrimp in there.

That being said, I don't know if they "get used to them so they won't eat them" aspect will work. I think it really depends on the nature of the fish :(

RCS could care less about fish fry ... unless they're already dead. They're mainly algae eating scavengers so predation's not on their menu. What you would have to be concerned with is when the Betta fry grow up and look upon the RCS as a snack rather than a tank mate. But .. that's what plenty of Plants, Rocks and DW are for.

Yeah I'm not sure if my "getting them used to the RCS" plan will work either, but its worth a shot. Plus when the fry move to a grow out the RCS will stay till my next tank is cycled anyways. But if I lose a few RCS it won't be a big loss, I have way too many as is right now

I just got 14 about a week ago and have 12 more on the way, out of the 14 right now like 7 are berried lol

The LFS said they would be willing to buy them from me so I won't mind being overrun! Plus I always see someone looking for a good deal on them!

But I'm sure atleast a few of my bettas would love an RCS for dinner

I also just got 12 more in the mail today. 26 RCS now. Luckily the 12 I just received are still really young so I don't have to worry abou their babies for a while

I have two berried females, and a bunch of babies in a 1 gal critter keeper that's floating in my main tank.. Who ever said they won't breed in an unheated tank is a liar..... Max temp was 67 degrees for a while after the heater broke..

Nice! From what I've read, most people dont have problems with them not breading in unheated tanks, but the myth is definitely still out there!

Back
Top Bottom