Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW--Fiddler crabs

Everyone needs to have these! I never knew they are so entertaining, and even have personalities. I got a male and female, and after two weeks, the male was doing the "claw thing" on top of the filter. It went on for at least 20 minutes. So cute. I have handled them twice. Once when I brought them home, just to get them into the tank, and once yesterday when I did an almost complete water change. After a few minutes of scurrying to try to get away from me, they sat calmly on my hand, and didn't want to get off! Not a single pinch, just a little displaying by the male at first, threatening, but he didn't do anything. I've never had such cute pets, and I'm really liking them. Cleaning their tank was not that difficult, and the water is sparkling clear again. I don't have a name for the female yet, but the male is Fergus. He's more outgoing, and he thinks he's quite macho! They do have to have the right set up with both land and brackish water, but I think they are the coolest pets I've had yet, and I've had lots of fish and pets over the years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	218906

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	218907

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	218908

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I call it the crab fist pump....halarious.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I have always really wanted some. I just do not currently have the space for another set up, especially one so specialized. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crab fist pump, LOL! It's really not that specialized of a set-up. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, honestly. I just used 20-25 lbs. of gravel and sand mixed, and sloped it, and put a small bowl of pure sand on the dry part, then a couple of good size rocks, and a couple of fake plants and a PVC U joint under the water. Oh, I also got a floating log of the type they make for bettas. Then just filled it with water with Prime and Instant Ocean mixed in. It didn't take as long to clean it as it does with the fish tanks! I have a heater and the smallest Whisper filter and of course, a heat lamp. Cost me over $100 for a habitat for two crabs, but as far as I'm concerned, it was worth it, as I'm enjoying them so much. They stay out a lot, not hiding much of the time as I've heard red claws do. I also have a thin branch of fruitless mulberry with lots of tiny branches coming off it that I'm going to boil and put in there so the boy can climb up higher to do his "crab fist pumping."
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, a tank that costs that much, and cannot house fish is rather specialized imo.
Do you have brackish water?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, for a 10 gallon crab tank, it really added up by the time I'd gotten everything! And yes, I keep them in brackish water. About a teaspoon per gallon. They're still doing well, and I can't wait until I've gotten them both through a molt, as I almost lost a dwarf crayfish (CPO) yesterday to an incomplete molt!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are adorable. I feel so bad whenever I see them at my local walmart. Makes we want to buy them all!

Would live to see a video of a 'crab fist pump'!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

It sounds like you have a great set-up! Pics and/or a video would be great in this instance.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love odd little pets like these. My LFS sells juvenile yabbies as feeders from time to time but i could catch them.easily enough. I would love to see a picture of the complete set up.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me about them being cute. My online friend says they remind her of spiders, and she wants to squash them when she sees pictures! Kind of hurt my feelings....

I just got a Zoo Med thing to hang my heat bulb from, and I'm moving them into another room next week. I'll be able to see them a lot better. Right now they are cramped in my fish room with the tank sideways, so I can't view them from the front like I want to. As soon as it's set up I'll post a pic. It's just a 10 gallon, so not much to look at, but it seems to be working. I ordered a fake vine for them to climb too, so can't wait to put that in there too. It's a little crowded, but I think they enjoy all the hidey places.

Any suggestions on names for my girl crab? I called the male Fergus.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nooooo spiders are gross. Those are cute! I love them!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
I had a pair and they lived with my goby in my 10g. So fun! Sadly one went missing. 5 months later we found him while cleaning :'(

Tags
crab, crabs, fiddler, fiddler crab, fiddler crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com