55g Fancy Goldfish Tank - Filtration Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mosdurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 55G fancy goldfish tank and initially bought the Rena Filstar XP-XL. I set it up the other day though and woke up to water coming through ceiling in my first floor (the 2nd is on the 2nd floor). I found that there's an air leak comign from the motor head enclosure. I took it apart to empty the water from it after the leak and when I put it back together, realized one of the screws was stripped - causing the seal not to be good. Did some reading online and I'm not the only one who is having problems with leaks on these things.

Now I don't trust it.

I'm thinking about going with an Eheim Classic 2217 and a Fluval U4 combination, but wasn't sure if that would be enough turnover for 4-5 goldfish in a 55G.

Anyone know or have suggestions for a canister/internal combination that would provide enough turnover? I also have a Hydor Koralia Evolution 750/850 pump and bubble wall airstones all the way down the back of the tank for oxygenation/circulation.

Really just look for suggestions on a combo that would give me enough filtration for the goldies. Also - not really looking for an HOB because of the noise (it's in my bedroom), but not completely against the idea, either.

I always buy fluval, they have the best quality in my opinion. But if you want the eheim 2217 that's fine, that with the u4 would be enough. But the u4 dosent hold much media, so for goldfish I'm not sure that's doing to do much more then create a current. If it were me I would get a fluval 406 canister and cal it a day. The fluval pushing more water through at a faster rate, and holds more media.

You could try API Superclean filter.I have the API filter for my 10 gal and I think it's doing a pretty good job so far :)

I wouldn't suggest the API for a goldfish tank. Agreed on the Fluval canister though. I love my Fluvals. I'd say go with both Fluvals.

1) too unreliable. I've gone through too many of the APIs and finally just gave up and went back to my AquaClear

2) goldfish have a huge bio-load

Eheim 2217 is the best filter I have ever used and I've used more than a few.

Eheim 2217 is the best filter I have ever used and I've used more than a few.

I was very pleased with the Eheim classics. I have owned 2213, 15 and 17. I did have an issue with my 2217 where the green canister plastic cracked near the inlet pipe on the bottom. Water leaked out very slowly so I had to replace the green canister portion. Haven't had a problem since.

I don't think, however, that a single 2217 is going to give you enough flow on a 55G tank. It'll give you all the biofiltration you need but I'd add a medium HOB or a powerhead for a bit more flow in the tank.

I do have a circulation pump for water movement and a bubble wall that goes all the way down the back (minus where the intake for the Eheim is). I'm looking at a Fluval FX5 used on Craigslist, hoping the owner is willing to part with it for a decent price. He says a fraction of the original cost. We will see...

I went with the 2217 and am waiting for the U4s to come in to see if they are worthwhile. If not, I will return them and get something better. Unless of course I can get the FX5. If I can, the 2217 will replace the Penguin 350 on the 55g tropical community.

Thanks for the input.

I should have listened to NYgiantsRP. I ended up getting the U4s and the media capacity is basically nil plus the flow is way too strong in the wrong direction (right across the tank) - my poor Mystery snail gets his shell knocked around by it in the one tank and I'm sure it'll be too much for the goldies.

I think am going to bite the bullet and get an AC 110 to couple with the Eheim 2217. I'll use the Eheim as my primary bio filter and the AC for mechanical + Purigen. I figure the AC will be better for Purigen because it'll be easier to change out the bag when it gets exhausted.

I'm going to put the same combo of filters on my 55g tropical community, too. I can buy media/sponges/floss in bulk this way for all of the filters.

I'm going to put my Penguin 350 onto my hospital/quarantine tank and I think I'll be all set.

Do you think the AC + the Eheim + the Hydor pump will be too much current for the goldfish? Is that all overkill? Should I nix the pump?

Back
Top Bottom