Aggressive Dwarf Gourami - needs algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAreFriendsN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone out there with experience could give me some advice.

We have a beautiful, but aggressive male Dwarf Gourami. We had him in a 20g well planted community tank with 2 platies and 4 guppies, but he would constantly harass the platies. We added shrimp for a clean up crew, but he thought they were snacks….so we have removed him to a lovely 10g where he is the only inhabitant. (I cannot blame him, personally I think shrimp are delicious.)

I recently tried to add one platy to his tank, but he chased and harassed him nearly to death, so he is alone again. I would like to know if there are any algae eaters who you think he would leave alone. I understand many of those types of fish are peaceful themselves, but it’s the Gourami I’m worried about chasing them about.

Thanks for any advice!
(y)

I’ve read some about snails overpopulating the tank, and I would prefer to avoid that future headache. Also, how many snails are we talking about? Are they that efficient when it comes to cleaning algae? We have a few stones in there that we would like to stay pretty and clean… But they’re currently covered in algae

Nerite snails cant breed in freshwater. They do a very good job at algae. 2 or 3 in a 10g.

Edit. Nerite snails will breed and lay eggs. But the eggs need brackish water to hatch.

Last edited:
Also consider reducing the lights on time. If you like seeing the fish when you are home, set a wall plug timer for them to be on when you ste there the most. Or if you are home all day, you could try having the timer switch off during a part of the day and back on again.

How long are the lights running on for?

And as far as a plecostomus, there are just a couple small sizes, maybe just one possible for a 10G, not positive if that is large enough. They aren't always that good at cleaning rocks. And I thinks it's common name is Bulldog or Clown ???, not positive, it's about 3", I'll see if I can check it's actual name.

Also consider reducing the lights on time. If you like seeing the fish when you are home, set a wall plug timer for them to be on when you ste there the most. Or if you are home all day, you could try having the timer switch off during a part of the day and back on again.

How long are the lights running on for?

And as far as a plecostomus, there are just a couple small sizes, maybe just one possible for a 10G, not positive if that is large enough. They aren't always that good at cleaning rocks. And I thinks it's common name is Bulldog or Clown ???, not positive, it's about 3", I'll see if I can check it's actual name.
Clown plecos are the smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom