Baby goldfish in the ryukin pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So far, I've only seen three - one gold, one calico and one a muddy brown. None are more than about an inch long.

I really had not expected a spawn this summer. I hope there aren't a gazillion of them in there.

They look like little fantails to me. When do baby ryukins start showing a hump?

These are the parents, when they were in a tank inside. Gypsy (male calico) and Blondie (female).

Blondie close up.

Is it possible Blondie is a fantail, and not a ryukin? Or are the wees just too small for the hump to show?

Congrats on the babies! I suspect there may be more hiding! :)

Both adults are ryukins but neither has a well developed hump. Whether this is the result of genetics or another issue, I do not know. Hump development typically starts to occur after 4-6mths with adequate high protein, high fat foods. Excess is devoted to fat deposits in the dorsal region after necessary nutrients are utilized for bodily functioning. I would not expect to see a 1inch juvenile with any kind development yet! As both parents have little to no hump development as adults, I would expect the babies to follow in their foot steps but only time will tell!

With all the bugs out there, I would expect protein to be abundant!

And why I didn't consider them spawning this year is really a ~duh~ thing on my part. Gypsy was already head butting Blondie into the plants in the tank before they moved into the pond.

I wonder how many of the little suckers are in there?:eek:

Lol!! Check your bog filter tank, too! Would love to see pics of the babies if you can manage to get any! :)

Okay, this was the best I could get.

I thawed some mysis and brine shrimp and went out with my camera. I thought the small food floating down might bring the wees out from under the cover of the stem plants on the bottom of the pond.

Here's what I am calling the brown one - just to the left of Gypsy's big honking nose (Gypsy loves having his photo taken).

Here's the gold one - look at the cabomba just to his/her left and bits of gravel to his right for an idea of scale.

And here are five of the larger fish - Gypsy is recognizable, and Blondie is under the glare of the sun on the water to the left.

I guess I have to quit calling the other ones "the wees" and name them now that there are truly "wees" in there.

Did not see the calico baby this time.

Thanks for the pics! Love the babies! Your first guy still has his natural coloring but he will eventually change, too. Everyone looks happy and healthy! :)

Back
Top Bottom