Beta and tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, I have a beta in a 1 gallon, and he seems very lonely.

I have a 29 gallon tank with. 2 angels, 2 raphael catfish, 6 cory cats, alot of snails, and 2 african butterfly fish.

Can he go in there? Will everything be fine? And lastly, will I still need to feed him beta pellets? or will he realize that flake is an acceptable food?

BTW, the tank is in blackwater conditions due to the drfitwood I keep in there

Bettas can be community fish, I would be concerned about putting him in with your current stocking. All I can say is you can try it and be really prepared for it not working out. The angels and betta may not get along at all. I'd get a 5 or 10 gal and put him in there and get a couple of other fish that would work better for him. JMO.

if by african butterfly fish you mean, Pantodon buchholzi, as in not the cichlid. I would not at all suggest moving your betta into the tank. It will tear him apart. They are agressive to fish smaller than them, esspecially fish closser to the surface. Your betta is better off alone.

Welcome to AA, Jarred!!! :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

I'd keep the betta in another tank. The butterfly fish is a predator, and angels can get quite aggresive. Those long showy fins would make him a target.

I would upgrade to at least a 2.5 gal just for the sake of the betta. He might not be lonely - he may just be feeling cramped. Most bettas are OK with cory cats, snails, and otos. You'd need to upgrade to a 5 or 10 gal to give your betta tankmates.

And I guess that the betta would not be able to go into a 5 gallon with a grown male dwarf puffer?

What about a 10 gallon with a breeding pair of german blue rams?

No, the puffer or the breeding rams would not be good tankmates at all for the betta. They will probably kill him. QTOFFER has an excellent suggestion - a 2.5 gallon tank, like the All-Glass brand acrylic mini-bow tank, would be ok. A 5 or 10 gallon tank for the betta would be even better, and you can add some tankmates like cory cats, otos, or snails.

Back
Top Bottom