Birds bathing in ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My co-worker has a problem with birds bathing in his pond. It is bothering his fish, I have no idea his water parameters. Any one have recommendations on something that could be added to the water to deter the birds but be safe for the fish? Someone had suggested garlic as it would not be pleasing to the birds but I question it for the fish.

usually depends on what kinds of birds? maybe a bird bath somewhere nearby?

usually depends on what kinds of birds?
I don't know what kind of birds. I'll have to ask him.

I've used pin-wheels on my terrace and my PH neighbors use owl statues...I know the pin-wheels work...birds no longer roost on my terrace.
I'll suggest this to him.

LOL I have 6 cats so birds are not usually an issue.

Another option is to string fishing line around the pond. Birds are forced to land away from the pond, and with the wire they will not be able to stand close enough to be able to reach the water.

It is. I just imagined that it might also work for medium sized birds, such as pigeons, that would not be able to perch on the wire or make a little hop over.

When my dogs are not outside, I have various songbirds that bathe in my stream. they can land right at the edge or on stepping-stone rocks so I'm not sure if the fishing line trick would work for them.
I've never tried to discourage them, so I got nothin' for ya, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom