Blackmoore bullying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I recently had to get my beautiful fancy fish put to sleep.
My black Moore who is quite large looked lonely in his big tank. So today I got a new fish. My blAckmoore is following this new fish everywhere and what look like mouthing but not biting or anything it doesn't look aggressive. The new fish doesn't seem to be stressed. I left the new fish in the bag for half an hour or so to get it used to the tank temperature. Will the Blackmoore settle down in a few days?
I have a photo of the new fish.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413459657.215482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the new fish a fancy goldfish? from the picture it looks like a common/comet shaped goldfish which aren't really compatible with the black moor. It could be that your black moor is male and the new fish is female. Look for white spots on gill (called breeding stars) and white spots along the pectoral (front side fins) these are called tubercles which only male fish have. if its just a bad pic and I cant see the fantail properly please correct me. But if it is the other type of goldfish in the long run they will not beable to stay together mainly because of space as the common variety will become too big and need a massive tank. Black moors grow roughly to 9-10inches max so need about 20gallons to live comfortably in. The common needs a lot more than that most end up being put in a pond. Also its more likely that the new goldfish will eventually potentially nip at the black moors tail. Does your fish have a single tail or a double fantail?

Hi I think it's a common but it has like a butterfly tail?
The pet shop said they would get on fine :-( my Blackmoore does have white dots along his fins and dots down the side of his head. I know he's a male but unsure of this new one?

I got the new fish as he looked really lonely. I don't think it's being aggressive he follows the new one. There is places to hide in the tank but I don't want it to be scared. The Blackmoore does become a bully when foods involved. I have had him around 6 years now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413470268.383374.jpg

Your black moor is gorgeous and looks like my black moor Ludo. My Black moor Dave used to do this to my calico fantail around meals times push her around so its completely normal so I wouldn't worry. Moor's don't have the greatest eyesight so it may just be acase of them trying to compete for food. Although a common will outwit and is much speedier when it comes to getting food. They should get on pretty well most the time ie they belong to the same species. But the common may nip at the long tail of the moor when it gets older and you may have to eventually upgrade to a massive tank if you intend to keep the common in a tank long term ie no pond for it to progress too. see how they go. But moors are generally peaceful tank mates and I think it highly likely your common is female and the moor is showing spawning behaviour ie chasing. One way that is always clear is take a fish out of the tank where you suspect it is female put it back in if the males chase the added fish then you can be sure the fish added is female.

Your common could be a kind of hybrid between a fancy and a common so this may affect its genetics so it may not get as big as a normal common and have a more peaceful nature like a fantail. Who knows? Nice fish anyway. There is probably a name for this type of fish but I don't know as much about commons so I cant help there.

My two moor males chase my female calico fantail all the time. She doesn't seem to be that bothered about it she will be digging about and they will push her she just swims away and carries on as normal. As long as your moor is not nipping or biteing and your common doesn't show signs of stress I wouldn't worry and its normal behaviour.

Thank you for replying. He is Gorgeous thank you. He's my rescue fish he was in a very bad way when I got him.
I found out my new fish is a red and white wakin after some research. The pet shop lied there not really meant to be together but seem to be getting a long better now. I agree with the eye sight googles eye sights not the best and he does get a bit mean during meal times. The new fish is very fast and can out swim him. If he gets too big I can always move him to a pond. Thanks again for everything

Back
Top Bottom