Breeding fish in kiddie pools and stock tanks-II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did this project last year and decided to do it again this summer. Last year I kept a running thread, but I started half way through the project, so this year I'll be posting start to finish. I hope others will be encouraged and try this as it makes a very cool summer fish project.

Last year I used 1-10'x10'x15" deep pool, 1-110"x72"x24" pool, 1-125gal stock tank, 1-175gal stock tank. This year my plan is for 2-10'x10'x15" pools, 1-110"x72"-24" pool, 2-6' round hard plastic wading pools and both stock tanks.

Last year I stocked Endlers, Least Killies, Clone Crayfish and Jack Dempseys. This year I'm stocking Pumpkin orange and black Painted Swords, Koi Swords, REEA Swords, 4 different color Platys, Endlers, Least killies and corys.

Last year I just tossed the Endlers and Least Killies in the pools with a little duckweed, sponge filter and not much else. Niether of the fish eat their fry, so it was rather easy. This year, I'll be using breeding traps for the swords and platys as they will eat fry. Breeding traps will be made of large Rubber Made Plastic Storage Containers with holes drilled in the sides and bottom. (If you have a better idea let me know).
I will stock the Endlers and Least Killies as I did last year directly into the pools.

Last year I started with 50-60 brooder fish, likely less, thinking I would end up with a few hundred if lucky. I ended up with over 1,200 fish! Last year I decided to leave all the fry in the pools to develop and did not remove any until the last 6 weeks as they were way over crowded. That created an issue when everything had to come indoors. This year, I'll set up the traps in the 10'x10'x15" pools, one for swords the other for platys. I will begin removing fish after 3-4 weeks depending on production. Fry will be moved to 1-round pool and the vats to grow out. Some fry will be moved indoors for a quick two weeks of gorging on bbs. I will leave Endler and Least Killie fry in the sword / platy pools and remove on the same schedule. One round pool will be exclusive for my new line of Blond Endlers.

Instead of keeping everything, fry will be pulled, sorted, graded weekly and some sold after the first 60 days. This should help keep the over crowding down and mean some lucky folks will be able to purchase these guys at a discounted rate. I will also have two 55gal tanks ready to set up if need be and may buy another round pool if I need the grow out room.

A few facts and details about last year. First, I was invaded by frogs, tree frogs, and that resulted in over 1,000 tadpoles. I quickly learned cichlids love them, yummy. I did allow about 100 to grow into frogs and go about doing frog stuff. Next I learned that mosquito larva are a better fish food than even I thouht. There were several weeks during spring when there were so many mosquito larva I fed the fish 2 x wkly. The female Endlers and Least Killies looked about read to burst they were so stuffed. This year I will set up 3-4 good size Rubber Made Containers just to produce extra mosquito larva for the breeder traps. Most folks in the hobby don't know this, but most pet store fish are stunted to a great degree. This is because the environment is so size restricted. Swords will grow to 4"-5", platys 3"-4" and female Endlers 3". Keep in mind the larger the females the more fry produced. Another thing that is odd is that the fish raised outside tolerate wide temp swings without any ill effects compared to fish raised inside. At the end of the season, I still had Endlers and Least Killies outside when temps went from high 60s day-40s night.

Well this is a good start. I will post up some photos of the breeder traps and brood stock in a week or two and in mid-late March photos of the pools. Keep in mind the pools are not for looks, they are for production.

Whew, I got tired just reading about all this work.

Actually this sounds like a fun project. I wouldn't be able to find enough people to buy the fry and would be scared that I would have to tell my wife we need to put a pool in each room over the Winter.

UPDATE

Here are some of the stars of the show.
my computer

Attachments

• 190.jpg
    190.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 191.jpg
    191.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 303
SuperGummy,

Last year I started with small number of Endlers and Least Killies. I figured myabe if I got really lucky I'd produce amybe 400 fish. Try 1,200 on for size. I made a few mistakes along the way and learned a lot as well.

This year I'm going with higher end fish and have expanded. I've always liked the unusual and livebearers. Sooooo, looks like I'm on the correct track. The swords shown are even better looking in person. The blond Endlers, well the males have colors that defy discription. My RREA Swords are stand outs and I am waiting on brooder Pineapple, Marigold and Wags of both varieties. I've also got two colors of Mickey Mouse Platys coming.

I still have a few fish from last summer, many people purchased the rest and I have had the ability to trade for just about anything. My goal is simple, produce some really nice fish and sell them to fund the fishroom and next summer. I have a side project, so there will be a small plastic pool full of color cull Endlers females. At some point I'll introduce 25-30 Belonasox fry and just let nature do its thing.

More fish pictures coming soon!

Endlers Anyone?

MORE PHOTOS

Endlers

Attachments

• 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 198.jpg
    198.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 279
Well I wa fire saling some so a few hundred on the Endlers and about $150 on Least Killies. My goal this year is $5,000 + I think I'll see that easily.

How does someone go about fire selling? Large quantities? Online? Sorry it just sounds like a very probable idea that I'm interested in trying.

*Pulls up chair and some popcorn*

Looking forward to the show! I thought about doing something like this as well but I didn't really get started in time. Good Luck!

Following this were exactly do you live?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Planning a midnight raid to steal some fry? I'd go with you but I look terrible with pantyhose over my head [emoji12]

Haha funny stuff man I did kind of sound that way I was wondering because I live in socal and was thinking of doing this too

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Macdaddy you should be fine in socal just have the ponds in shady areas so they don't overheat and probably want tropical rather than cooler water fish.

What do you do about the local wildlife? I imagine pools full of fish would be irresistible to raccoons, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom