Bubbler, ice, and doming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueCrystalMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone... long time no post...

Its been very close to zero here in the northeast, and my heater is working well keeping a hole open in the ice... i also have a bubbler doing its thing down the other end of the pond... my assumption is that this keeps the water oxygenated. Needless to say, with the cold weather, I have had to pour hot water over the top of the 'dome' that is forming around the bubbler... last night it was frozen completely over (looked cool) but worried me...

So, is this a bad thing? Any ideas, hints or tips to keep it from freezing over? What if it does? How long before the fish lose their oxygen?

Thanks for your help...

I don't know that you even need the bubbler. A hole in the ice to keep noxious gasses from building up under the ice is all that's needed, IMO. Your fish are using very little oxygen when it's this cold. Keep in mind how slow their metabolism is at this time of year. I don't think you need to worry.

I would like to see a pic or two of the bubbler set-up, particularly with the ice dome. Sounds like it would look cool!

Thanks, cc... thats what I was thinking too... Too late to do anything about it now... The weather has been crazy this year... it was in the sixties just over a week ago... so the bubbler was needed... and the bam: freezing over night and it hasn't gotten over 25... too late to pull the bubbler out.

Now we've got the blizzard ragin' out there, so any chance of pix now are nil for a few days at least. I did take the dog out earlier and glance at it... looks like a little volcano out there sitting on top of the pond... complete with the blowhole!

Will post a pic as soon as I can... thanks again.

Here ya go, cc... yes, there is a bubbler in there... if you look hard enough, you can see about a three inch diameter hole that I just opened up with hot water... someone said I should have put a tote over it... too late for this season... definitely a consideration for next year.

bubbler.jpg

You dont need the bubbler for 2 reasons. Your fish are using very very little oxygen being that cold. Also cold water holds much more oxygen than warm water so the natural exchange of gasses though the hole made by the deicer is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom