Chinese algae eater hanging on goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi the last day or 2 I've been noticing my algae eater trying to hang on my 8" goldfish. I've been having problems with the goldfishs fins shredding could this be why? What do I do about it? My water is great so I don't think it has anything to do with water quality.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your algae eater has either developed a taste for slime coat or its starving and turning to the slime coat. Try feeding algae wafers if he continues to do this you will have to rehome him.

Bummer! I really like the little guy I feed that tank 5 to 6 algae wafers a day so I don't think he could be starving :-(

Don't the chinese algae eaters become more carnivorous and aggressive once they mature?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is a whole group of fish that look almost identical that are sold as "algae eaters" the Chinese algae eater it's actually a sucking loach. Same as golden algae eater, just a different color. That's why many of them don't eat algae, despite the name. They have suckers because they are from fast flowing streams and hold themselves on rocks and logs on the bottom. This was the reason I went with a pleco for algae control.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't the chinese algae eaters become more carnivorous and aggressive once they mature?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, this is true. I had a fully grown "true Siamese algae eater" given to me by a keeper with too small a tank for it back when I was a teen and it never behaved like that. It just kept eating the algae and scavenging. It did become protective of a rock stack but never harrassed any other fish. You can tell the difference by the stripe down the side if you know what to look for. Unfortunately, the "Chinese algae eater" looks similar and is much easier to find in shops but it's not the one you want in your peaceful tank.

This is him he's 2"tops I had him in a 10 gal and never had this problem. Put him in the 55 community and now he's doing this

Attachments

• 1389985005338.jpg
    1389985005338.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 118
I don't know what to tell you other than that the behavior is common and hard on the other fish. Pity yours has started so early but now you know.

Thanks guys my lfs will take trade ins so I'll just take him and trade for some snails I guess. I have a pleco in the 55 so its not a big deal. He is just fun to watch.

And now you know why this is one of the most hated species in the aquarium hobby! These are not happy nice algae eating fish. Re home it ASAP! That is definitely a CAE not a Siamese. Siamese are always a much better choice. CAEs as they grow will completely stop eating algae and will become aggressive and as you have seen suck on other fish. They like the taste of the slime coat and goldfish have a lot of it. You can feed him till the sun comes up and he will keep going after you goldfish or now that he has a taste for it any other fish.

Thanks guys my lfs will take trade ins so I'll just take him and trade for some snails I guess. I have a pleco in the 55 so its not a big deal. He is just fun to watch.

Your Pleco will likely develop the same taste for your goldfish as warning

Good to know guys thanks I shuffled everybody around until I can get to the store. So he can't hurt anyone!

And mr Nemo the goldfish is in his new 75 with just 2 other goldfish and 3 catfish and a snail no suckers or plecos

Back
Top Bottom