Clown Loach is a PIG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this loach is eating anything and everything that goes in this tank. Went with two cubes of frozen Blood Worms last night, everybody got some, but thats why I put two in there . . . the Pictus Cat and the Clown Loach shredded and devoured one while everyone else ate off of the other one.

He monopolizes the Tubifex cubes on the nights I put those in.

Flake food . . yup, he's all there.

Freeze dried shrimp for the Goby (I stuff them in his cave since he doesn't make daytime appearances) . . . Clown Loach appears at the back door of the cave to annoy the Goby and the Goby comes out after him, where he then enters the front door of the cave while Goby's back is turned and steals a shrimp and yanks it out of the cave.

Zuchini in a clip at night after lights out so hopefully my 5" Pleco will come out of hiding and eat . . . next morning, zuchini is now a hollow ring and Clown Loach is there clicking like a maniac and scraping off whatever he can get.

At this rate, I'm going to need to build him a pool in the back yard. He'll be 9 feet long by summer and eating slabs of beef.

Do you just drop the cubes in? I haven't seen my clown loach eat any of it. I crush some of it in for the smaller fish but leave part of the cube floating.

I have the same problem in my 55. Any time I try and give a treat to my Clown Pleco, like an algae wafer, the Tiger Barbs and Gold Gourami are all over it. I have even tried to "distract" the Tigers and Gourami by feeding flakes at the far right of the tank and then when they are in full feeding frenzy I drop a wafer on the far left side. It never works, after they finish the flakes they sniff out the algae wafer and devour it. The Pleco looks very healthy and I see him cleaning algae off of the side of the tank, but I have yet to figure out a way to give my Pleco a treat.

Yeah, I just drop the cubes in, the Blood Worms anyway, since they come apart pretty fast. The tubifex cubes I smush up against the glass so they stick, but the Pictus is a vicious eater and generally ends up ripping it off anyway after a short while.

I came out at one point in the middle of the night and the snail had found his way onto it, but I never saw the Pleco eating off of it . . . however, amidst what seemed to be non-stop "clicking", this is the site that greeted me this morning:
1000180640.jpg

and he was even taking a stab at munching on the clip too:
1000182640.jpg

I think I'm going to take a little movie clip at feeding time tonight . . .these guys are a trip.

Nice tank. Clown loaches are so cool looking. I have yet to see mine eating veggies. I have floating grass for the fry and every once in awhile you can see him(Krusty) picking at it from the bottom vertically. I try to get pics but he is VERY camera shy.

Everytime I see your user name I laugh. I am constantly telling the kids that!!

I can't get my loaches to eat veggies either. I've tried blanched, fresh, even blanched in garlic.

I do have a new loach and maybe if they see him eating some zuc they will also..

LOL! Your descriptions are hilarious. What an assertive little gourmand!

Unlike a lot of people, I have never been particularly attracted to the way they look, so have never bought one. But the clicking and all that personality sound really appealing. Maybe I will need to rethink this eventually. :)

Back
Top Bottom