Common carp juveniles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snodgrab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How large do common carp grow in their first year and how to catch them?

Carp can get to about 1kg in the first year.

Not sure what you mean about catching them. What are you trying to catch them from?

common carp juviniles

I want to catch them from the lake or river for stocking my pond and as catfish bait.

Definitely would recommend deworming them to help reduce illness form the wilds!

Are you looking at keeping tens of them or hundreds of them? In a pond or holding tanks, or ??? - Just curious.

common carp juveniles

I would like to catch hundreds for stocking a 5 acre pond. If they do well, I would then go commercial bait farming with them. Worms are not much of a problem in my area. The lakes are full of them from 2 to 20 lbs, but it's illegal to trap that size.

First off to make sure these type of fish are allowed to be used for bait.

I know some locations do not allow certain types of live bait and around here they want you to catch those Carp to get them out of the water ways as they eat all the more desireable fish. If you can use them for bait fish then I know our ranch store sells large bags of trout / dish food for home ponds, and I haven't looked but was told by one guy who used to buy it it have some thing in it for them to grow fast.

If you caught a bunch of adult they would spawn. You might learn about carp pox and other diseases which these fish can catch as well and see if there are good preventitive medications for them. There also is some interesting research being produced regarding floc, not sure if thats spelled correctly. Been a long while since I read about it.

And more healthful ways to farm fish than mass feeding of antibiotic filled foods.

common carp juviniles

LOL, common carp are no longer considered invasive in the USA. They are in every water way in the country. The big head and Asian carp are very invasive and destructive, that must be what you are talking about. They soon will be all over the country, as people are fools and have to move them around. The common carp was imported by the government before the turn of the 19th century.

European and Grass carp are also STILL invasive even if the government brought them here.

They cause turbidity from their rooting around in the muddy bottom areas and their actions displace native species of plants and fish.

Russian olive trees, touted as excellent and hardy wind breaks and sold by the USDA. But you can learn from experience and errors. Now trying to remove the invasives which destroy natural habitats for native species. Russian Olive trees or Carp.

Many states are limiting which types of fish can be used for bait and some require certifications for bait suppliers. Some states work harder than others to try and manage game, sport and recreational fishing.

Just mentioning regulations and fish care so you can make the most of your endeavor, not end up with a pond of fish which are full of parasites, or of which you can't sell.

You could possibly even make money making carp jerky treats for cats or dogs, I would imagine.

Having a business which costs you little to start up, might be awesome for your future.

I hope you can make a successful enterprise with your pond.

LOL, common carp are no longer considered invasive in the USA. They are in every water way in the country. The big head and Asian carp are very invasive and destructive, that must be what you are talking about. They soon will be all over the country, as people are fools and have to move them around. The common carp was imported by the government before the turn of the 19th century.

Common carp are not in "every water way" and are very much considered invasive. Just like Alabama bass in largemouth waters.

Triploid grass carp are commonly used for weed control because they cannot reproduce. That may be what you are referring to. They are usually introduced at 7-9" so they aren't likely to become bass food.
Bighead and silver carp are highly invasive and present in the Mississippi watershed. As far as I know they are not in the great lakes. You can gill net thousands of pounds a day for fish meal and not affect the supply.

Back
Top Bottom