Common Goldfish in 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody. The question I am asking is to ease a bit of worry that I have been experiencing. I have 1 common goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. Water parameters always look good, heavy filtration, and weekly water changes. So far so good. I haven't had any problems with my fish. What worries me is how big I have read commons get and that they actually need way larger tanks. Will my fish be okay in the long run? If I had the resources I would switch the tank to a larger size but that is completely out of the question due to money and space. Lately I have just been worried that in a few years or so (I have had this fish for a year now) problems may start to arise because of his size. Do I have much to worry about? Or should he be fine?

First.....common goldfish are social fish and should be kept in at least a pair. Second...your tank is way to small for long term care. This fish would need a 6ft long tank and 2 feet wide (150g) in my opinion. It's also the reason many are kept in ponds. If I were you I'd return the fish and get a fancy goldfish. They can be kept in your tank size.

Hello Sta...

I keep Comets with some common Goldfish and a 20 G tank is fine for now, but not good for the fish long term. They're social fish, but if you plant your tank with some Anubias and Ancharis or Hornwort, the fish will be more comfortable. A 20 G will require a 50 percent water change done twice weekly to maintain good water conditions and feed a good variety of low phosphate flakes and freeze dried foods. Also, feed some pellets and wafers. Goldfish more easily adapt to their environment as long as the water is kept clean. Consider giving this fish to someone with a larger tank if you can't afford one.

B

Ok thank you. I didn't receive this fish with my own discretion so this was all I could do. For now I will crank up the water changes and get more plants for him to be comfortable. I'll try to find someone with a bigger tank but it may not happen for a while. I only want the best for this fish.

The fact that you are here asking the question in the first place shows you do care. If you really want to keep the fish yes you do need a larger tank, but I do have a few options that may help you. I am always broke so I get it! Craigs list is a great place to get decent used tanks. I got my 55 gallon tank, filter(I have my own filters I never used the filter) and stand and a bunch of extras for $50. Petco also does a gallon tank sale twice a year. If you go the used route make sure the tank was never used for reptiles. What area are you located in maybe I could look around for you and see what I can dig up? If you are in my area I could even give you my 37g it wouldn't be a forever fix but it might buy you some more time. It has a foot print of a 29 gallon at 12x30.

Thank you for this reply and really understanding how much I freaking love this fish. I could look for a tank for cheap but another issue is my parents. I am a teenager so I can't just do willy nilly and my parents were not very happy with even a 20 gallon. I will see what I can work out.

Good news! I have brought up this problem with my mother, yet again, and she said if I save up for a tank I can get it. My dad will take convincing but I'll work something out. I am planing on going with a 50 gallon so now it's just up to tank suggestions. I think I'll go with topfin because it is the best price and more accessible.

50 is better. I would take flitabout's advice and try to find a used tank on Craigslist that is larger and presumably cheaper. I think one common goldfish should be in a 75 gallon minimum. 100g preferably. Over 100g ideally. I would bet you could get a used 100g for $100. Local garage sales are also a good spot to find old tanks especially around spring cleaning time.

Heavily filtered 20g will buy you a couple months depending on how much you feed.If you only feed once or twice a week it could be a year. If you feed every day twice a day it would probably closer to six months.

Back
Top Bottom