Depressed goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bribri547

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a little background, I rescued a goldfish from a hoarder house, and after a battle with various illnesses and adapting to a clean environment she pulled through. She has been in a 10 gal since I wasn't sure she would survive, and since she has I got a 40 gal breeder. I ran the new filter alongside the old one in the 10 gal for about 2 weeks with a bio stone directly underneath it. I put about 2 cups worth of substrate, the filter, the bio stone, 4 artificial plants, and 1 hideout from the old aquarium into the new one. Everything else is new. I let the new aquarium run for a couple days to get the temperature to match her old one (our "cold" water comes out in the mid 80's here). I tested both aquariums and ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and water hardness matched perfectly. PH had less than a .5 difference. I decided to move her into the new aquarium. It's been almost a week and she just sits at the back of the aquarium by the filter intake behind a log. She hasn't had any interest in food. Instead of happily swimming over when she sees someone she hides. I put my hand in the tank a few days ago to fix a runaway java fern and instead of swimming up to and brushing up against my hand like she used to she swam as far away as possible. I've also noticed some scales have gone missing but I don't know if it's from her swimming between the filter intake and the glass or something else. She developed stress veins in her tail fin the second week of having two pumps running in the 10 gal but it seems to have finally started to fade today. I have been testing the water in the morning and again at night every day and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite have all stayed at 0 and ph hasn't changed. The water is getting a little cloudy but I assume that's from the uneaten food. Is it just a shock being in a bigger/different environment? Or did I do something wrong? Is it possible she's sick again? If it's just moving stress how long before she goes back to her happy self? Also, how much water should I do with the weekly water changes? I always did 50% with the 10 gal and vaccumed the gravel every time. Is that nessicary with a 40 gal? Sorry for the long post.

No, I'm not 100% sure. I just assumed if I transplanted enough from the 10 gal and tested the water a couple times a day it would be fine. The day I transferred her the nitrate level was 0 in the 10 gal but I had also just done a water change the day before.

Keep up with the testing and water changes. Assume you are doing a fish in cycle. Ammonia in the water could be behind the stress and behavior.

I'm confused about the whole cycling thing. Does it affect the fish even if you keep the water levels safe? And does it still go through a cycle if you're moving most of the aquarium as opposed to completely starting fresh with new everything? Also I just did the last water test for the day, and the only thing that changed was the nitrate is now between 0-20. And she is still just sitting in the same spot looking unhappy.

It takes weeks - up to 8, give or take, to establish a beneficial bacteria colony.

What size is the fish?

Also there is a really good article which helps review and the fish-in cycle info for those newer to establishing a beneficial bacteria/BB colony to help maintain a safe environment for your fish. It is linked in the bottom of my signature line.

Do you have a bright light? Maybe too bright? Is there a background on the tank?

It sounds like it is stressed. The water quality swings could be an issue. It can take some work but you can maintain safe water quality for your fish. Info is also linked to the article , step over to the darkside fish in cycle. And also another one too which will help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom