diy pond filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are thinking about building this filter. Our 5 gallon busted out the side from pressure. Here's the question. This person specifies using biodegradable filter media, why does it need to be biodegradable and would fiberglass air conditioner filters do just as well?
www.mvwgs.org/filter.htm

my best guess is because usually those kidns of stuff have anti mold or whatever which is toxic to fish

What is that a sumbersible filter?

Dont do submersible they are hard to clean (you have to get inside the pond each time to get them out)

You know my pond is only a hot tub. We're going to put one of these together and set in on one of the seats. It will be inexpensive and last till we can decide on what we want and can afford.

I took this idea and ran with it. Instead of using furnace filters I used 100% polyester quilt batting. 1 piece covered the entire inside of the milk crate, no seams. Also I used the small, grape sized lava rock.

It works nice for me since I have an old plastic laundry sink as a skimmer. The pump/milkcrate fits right inside it as if it was intended to. Its been running 1 day.

Diy Filters.
You can quite easily make a filter out of any junk you came across, I prefer a cheap barrell version. Take I full size 45 gall drum and three half barrells.
Place them at the same level as the water in the pond. connect the full barrell to the bottom drain in your pond about six inches up on the barrell.
Link the three barrells with tube, preferably 2" out of the large barrell 6" up and into the next barrell six inches from the bottom. Repeat for the next two half barrels.
Fit a drain to the bottom of the large barrel with a plug , so you can drain off water.
Now the water level of all four barrels is going to be the same level as the pond.

Get a peice of wire mesh and put pipe brushes or old brush heads in the first barrell suspended from the wire mesh with string or wire.
in the second barrell chop 2" peices of pipe & rough them up with sandpaper. Cut enough to fill i barrell with them. any old pipe will do as it will collect bacteria anyway.(plastic only no steel)
In the third half barrell you can line the bottom with pea shingle or small agregate. This act as a water polisher. Place your pump on top of about 6" of gravell and you will then pump only clean water, back to your pond. The pond will then refill your filter any solid waste can be drained from the first barrell and if the second barrell gets dirty just stir it up & let the muck get flitered again.

Total cost last time I done it 120 Euro or 150$ 12 hours work and 3 tubes of silicone.
lasts a lifetime and if its cleaned yearly will never block.
The equivilant of 1200 euros worth of filter.
Trust this helps
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

Back
Top Bottom