Evaporation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueCrystalMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious about what a normal rate of evaporation would be... I lose just over an inch every three or four days... I do have two falls and a fountain... and it has been kind of hot and humid... Here are some pics of it... for size reference, it is a six foot six bridge spanning it... Thanks.

My pond and falls

I think I loose something close to that, perhaps a bit more. The waterfall is probably the killer, as mine is. A lot gets lost in splashing, and there are a few places that the water likes to roll around the rim of something and out of the pond. I would suggest looking around the sides of the rocks (2nd to last pic, left of the planter, straight above those 3 rocks in the pool) and see if something is leaking out.

Thanks Roger... I checked and all is dry. Even places that I thought would be wet are dry... I am assuming normal evaporation, but still being new to this, I just wanted to make sure... Thank again!

That's right about the same as my rate of evap. I agree, the falls are the killer. The splashing water up onto rocks that are being heated by the sun all day, water levels can go down pretty dern quick. Every spring/early summer when we go more than a few days with no rain, I'm surprized at how fast the water level drops. It never hurts to inspect for leaks (or potential ones) on a regular basis, that way hopefully you won't get caught off-guard.

Back
Top Bottom