Fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an empty 55gal tank well not empty It's been cycling now for a while lol I want to get some fancy goldfish but have never kept them I usually keep cichlids any suggestions or tips for fancy goldfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It should be easy for you they are a lot easier to care for than cichlids

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes I still have cichlids that I love but figured I'd put my other tank to use. I know they are easy but I think they are interesting but I have no idea how many can go in a 55 which type can go with who and if sand is ok. The Internet so far has only given me mixed info so I figured I to right to people and their experience :)

Just don't keep any common/comet gold fish they would out compete the fancies for food but other than that I don't have thing that can help

My advice would be to feed them sinking foods. Fancy goldfish have misshapen swim bladders and when they eat flakes or gloating food, air gets trapped and they have buoyancy issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish are Beautiful

Yes I still have cichlids that I love but figured I'd put my other tank to use. I know they are easy but I think they are interesting but I have no idea how many can go in a 55 which type can go with who and if sand is ok. The Internet so far has only given me mixed info so I figured I to right to people and their experience :)

Hi Km84,

I started my Goldfish "Adventure" with a Carnival Goldie! I now have 2 Shubunkin and 2 Comets. They are beautiful fish! I don't have Fancies, but I believe that 4 would be good in a 55 gallon (they don't get as big as commons and comets).

I started with Caribsea Instant Aquarium "Peace River" which is a fine grained gravel and the Shubunkin do fine with it...

My newest tank with the Comets, I decided on Caribsea I.A. "Sunset Gold" which is a Fantastic soft Sand Substrate. The Comets Absolutely Love Sifting through it. It does not harm them if swallowed. If you do a larger gravel than "Peace River, the Goldie's can choke on them, unless you go with pea gravel size or larger.

I would Love to see some pics when you get them!

It should be easy for you they are a lot easier to care for than cichlids

You are quite mistaken if you are assuming fancies are 'easy '. Fancies actually require quite a bit of care including large, frequent water changes and a specific diet. Many breeds are best kept in breed-only tanks.

Op, if you have an idea of what type you may be interested in or need information on specific breeds, we will be happy to help! Sand or bare bottom tanks are best for fancies to eliminate the risks associated with gravel. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Large pebbles are a good substrate I have a very thin layer on the bottom of my fancy goldfish tank so no waste ever gets stuck there. Feed them veg (they like most green veg, peas, broccoli, par boil so soft for them) weekly along side pellet food avoid flakes they dirty the water. Also invest in good filtration fancies have a large bio load. 50% weekly water changes I do. Certain types of telescope fancies have poor eyesight so avoid ornaments with sharp edges. I have two blacks moors and two fantails. I believe most fancy varieties get on well they are social and quite peaceful fish and full of personality. Black moors are my fav. 4 should live well in a 55gallon.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you everyone! I like I'm going to keep the same that is already in the tank and depending on the exact ones I find to with 3-4 assuming they will have enough room. I might start with three and see how they are enjoying the space I hate overcrowding a tank. The is so much for all the advise!

Thank you everyone! I like I'm going to keep the same that is already in the tank and depending on the exact ones I find to with 3-4 assuming they will have enough room. I might start with three and see how they are enjoying the space I hate overcrowding a tank. The is so much for all the advise!

Two to three is a good idea! Most fancies grow much larger than people realize and continue growing through out their lives with adequate space and healthy water. Some of my fancies are over 12in while others are the size of large grapefruits+ (depends on the breed). Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom