Flexible or rigid liner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about putting a small (50-100 gal) pond in. One of the first decisions I need to make is which type of liner. Any input I could get here (pro's con's, etc) would be great.
Also, any other adice you could give to a beginner?

TIA

Flexible is more adaptable to whatever shape you want to dig the hole, but more likely to puncture if you have a sharp rock.

Rigid is more leak-proof, and you can use bulkhead fittings on it if you want to plumb your filtraiton system hidden outside the pond. Need to be more carful to dig the bottom of the hole level, so the liner is well supported when full.

I'm not sure what the cost diffrence is.

I'm leaning toward rigid.

you can use bulkhead fittings on it if you want to plumb your filtraiton system hidden outside the pond.

What kind of filtration do ponds need? I've already spent a ton of money on a sw tank so I was hoping this would be rather inexpensive comparatively. Will just your basic mechanical filtration be enough?

I can't seem to find much info on the web other than places that sell pond equipment. If you have any links to good resources I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

If it's a first pond and want to keep it at a manageable, go with a rigid. If you shop around you can find sales. I picked one up at a K-mart,excellent quality. As filtration goes, don't waste your time on cheap internal box type filters.They are a pain to remove from the pond and clean.Expect to clean them often. Get a pressurized external cannister with built -in UV sterilizer and an internal debri handling pump. Some cannisters incorporate a backwash valve to enable rinsing the filter pads without disassembling the filter. I use a Cyprio Bioforce 500 cannister and Titan pump. My pond is always crystal clear. Check out AZponds.com for excellent prices. The price for complete filter set up $212.00 with free shipping.

EbAy actually sells some good pond stuff, thats where i get alot of my stuff from. I got a submersible pump with a sponge filter built right in for my barell pond. For such i small pond, that might be a good choice.

Thanks for the info and links. Azponds actually had some really helpfull info. I was hoping to only need a sponge type filter but if I will really need a canister etc I'll just have to save a bit longer.
WaterPond, I did actually look on ebay a little but wasn't really sure what to look for.

well, if you type in "laguna pond" a large about of stuff will come up, and the reason i say laguna is because it is durble, and easy to find, being one of the most popular pond brands in north america.

I have a small patio pond that I have had for several years. It started orignially as two wiskey barrel liners that I set into the ground and one poured into the other. Then I upgraded to a 110 gallon stock tank set in the ground. Its a very easy way to add a water feature to your yard.
For filtration, initially all I had was a sponge filter in a cage to protect the pump. I alter upgraded to a rubbermaid container with holes drilled in the top, and it has the course and fine filter foam that can be purchased as a refill for a commercial pond filter.

Back
Top Bottom