Floating plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acpart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm already starting to think about plans for my container pond next year when it comes back outside (it's actually not going in for another month but I plan ahead). I need to find different floating plants to keep the algae under control. Without floating plants I get lots of stringy green algae. Water lettuce and water hyacinth are great for preventing the algae but they multiply too fast and take over. This year I think my water lily didn't bloom because it got choked out by the water hyacinth. A lot of my submerged plants are kind of acting like floating plants but they don't combat the algae. Actually the algae strands get tangled up in the submerged plants and are then hard to get rid of. Any ideas?

Aliza

I either use any small floating surface covering plants or water hyacinth which I keep under control by pruning. I've also used elodea that I kept on the surface. It grows fast in sunlight, oxygenates the water very well and competes well with the algae for nutrients.

I looked at a picture of elodea on line and it looks like the submerged plants I already have that float to the surface and get all tangled up in stringy algae.

Aliza

Back
Top Bottom