Gravel or Sand Substrate for Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manic Fury

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the title suggests, is gravel or sand suitable for fancy goldfish?

Since goldfish love to peck at the bottom of the tank for bits of food, I've heard that sand would be a problem as they would suck sand into their mouth and it could cause problems.

I've had gravel before and didn't really like the look. I've seen some beautiful sand tanks and would like to give that a shot.

So. Gravel or sand?

If both, what are the pros and cons of each?

+1 to Mumma!

Sand or bare bottom is ideal. Gravel poses an inherent risk of choking and/or intestinal blockage (and a painful demise). You would be surprised at the size of gravel goldfish can actually fit in their mouths (it defies logic). Even if they did ingest a tiny bit of sand, it will pass quickly and harmlessly through their digestive tract.

Sand is also easier to maintain with messy fish. There is no 'hidden' accumulations of dirt and debris as everything stays on the top to be vac'd or picked up by the filters. I have pool filter sand in my main tanks and bare bottom everywhere else. After having to extract a quarter-sized piece of gravel (river stone to be exact) from a goldie's mouth, I tossed it all. Please ask if you have questions!

+1 to Mumma!

Sand or bare bottom is ideal. Gravel poses an inherent risk of choking and/or intestinal blockage (and a painful demise). You would be surprised at the size of gravel goldfish can actually fit in their mouths (it defies logic). Even if they did ingest a tiny bit of sand, it will pass quickly and harmlessly through their digestive tract.

Sand is also easier to maintain with messy fish. There is no 'hidden' accumulations of dirt and debris as everything stays on the top to be vac'd or picked up by the filters. I have pool filter sand in my main tanks and bare bottom everywhere else. After having to extract a quarter-sized piece of gravel (river stone to be exact) from a goldie's mouth, I tossed it all. Please ask if you have questions!

Seems like I will be going with sand. Is pool filter sand the best sand to get?

If so, is there a smaller amount that I could buy? All I'm seeing is 50 lbs and 25 lbs. I only need about 10 lbs.

If pool sand isn't the best or worst, is there a type of sand that you would recommend that is specifically for aquariums?

Thank you all for your responses! I feel like a celeb in here, I have 2 moderators replying to my question. :cool: Haha. Just kidding.

What size tank will this be for? I personally like pfs as its a heavy, large grain, reasonably clean sand and it is not easily sucked up into filters or siphons. Some of the chain store sands are extremely fine and dusty which can be a nightmare. I don't personally like play sand as I found it extremely dirty/dusty and finer grained when compared to pfs. Take a look around and see what you may be interested in! :)

What size tank will this be for? I personally like pfs as its a heavy, large grain, reasonably clean sand and it is not easily sucked up into filters or siphons. Some of the chain store sands are extremely fine and dusty which can be a nightmare. I don't personally like play sand as I found it extremely dirty/dusty and finer grained when compared to pfs. Take a look around and see what you may be interested in! :)

It will be for a 10 gallon tank that I have. It's bare bottom with a few little black rocks that I put in from a previous tank for a little extra seeding material.

I'll look around for PFS as that seems to be the best bet. If I do get a 25 lbs or 50 lbs of sand, I can save it for when I set up my 30 gallon tank if I want to.

I have a nice filter and the intake would be about 2" from the sand. My worries are that the sand would ruin my filter. I have a DIY sponge filter over the intake for my previous fish. It was a fancy goldfish and I didn't want his tail to get stuck.

This should take care of any sand possibly getting in the filter. (Hopefully)

Why don't you wait until you set up your 30g before considering another goldfish? Maybe a small tropical tank or some wcms/rosy reds that can then be moved to the larger goldfish tank when its ready for fish? Just a thought.

Why don't you wait until you set up your 30g before considering another goldfish? Maybe a small tropical tank or some wcms/rosy reds that can then be moved to the larger goldfish tank when its ready for fish? Just a thought.

I considered that. I'm just worried that I'm not experienced enough for multiple fish yet. I've had one goldfish as you probably know. I believe you helped me out in the past. So I know how to take care of goldfish.

I'm a little confused at what you are saying though. I don't know what wcms are but you're saying I should have rosy reds in my 10 gallon tank for now and transfer them to my 30 gallon when I get it set up?

Are rosy reds or any other tropical fish compatible with fancy goldfish?

I think I know what you're saying though. Raise the rosy reds in the 10 gallon and transfer them to the 30 gallon as live food for my goldfish that I will be getting.

:confused:

Sorry for the confusion!!! Wcms are white cloud minnows. Rosy reds are also a type of minnow. They are cool water schooling fish and they are compatible with goldfish but you may need some plant cover when the goldfish grows larger to avoid them possibly becoming a meal. Fancy goldfish are actually quite a bit more work and can be more difficult to keep than most basic tropicals. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I would not be afraid of doing a small tropical tank if your interested! Otherwise, I honestly would wait until you can house a fancy properly in your 30g to avoid the huge commitment it will require even short term. :)

Sorry for the confusion!!! Wcms are white cloud minnows. Rosy reds are also a type of minnow. They are cool water schooling fish and they are compatible with goldfish but you may need some plant cover when the goldfish grows larger to avoid them possibly becoming a meal. Fancy goldfish are actually quite a bit more work and can be more difficult to keep than most basic tropicals. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I would not be afraid of doing a small tropical tank if your interested! Otherwise, I honestly would wait until you can house a fancy properly in your 30g to avoid the huge commitment it will require even short term. :)

I think you are absolutely right. I know how hard it is taking care of a goldfish. They are a lot more finicky than I thought. Their bio load was more than I expected. It was hard to manage this in the 10 gallon tank.

I think I'll go the community fish route. It just seems a little more troubling than taking care of a single fish.

I've been looking around and I really like the White Cloud Minnows.

I think I'm going to go with this, I checked the stocking level and this is what I might go with. Let me know what you guys think:

(5-6) White Cloud Minnows
(5) Celestial Pearl Danios
(5) Harlequin Rasboaras

I also checked for compatibility with these fish and 1 Fancy Goldfish and they all work. Plus, it will give my goldfish some friends to hang out with. :)

Hopefully, Mumma will chime back in here with some further advice!

Danios are tolerant of cooler water (not cold) and I know a few people that keep them with fancies. The only concern is possible fin nipping by the danios. I am honestly not sure on the rasboras and their tolerance of less than tropical temps. I would definitely spend some more time researching! :)

I think you are absolutely right. I know how hard it is taking care of a goldfish. They are a lot more finicky than I thought. Their bio load was more than I expected. It was hard to manage this in the 10 gallon tank. I think I'll go the community fish route. It just seems a little more troubling than taking care of a single fish. I've been looking around and I really like the White Cloud Minnows. I think I'm going to go with this, I checked the stocking level and this is what I might go with. Let me know what you guys think: (5-6) White Cloud Minnows (5) Celestial Pearl Danios (5) Harlequin Rasboaras I also checked for compatibility with these fish and 1 Fancy Goldfish and they all work. Plus, it will give my goldfish some friends to hang out with. :)

I've never kept celestial pearl danios but I think they are rather shy and don't do well with boisterous tank mates. Might be worth looking up. If you're planning on them and harlequins then you'll definitely need a heater. That may pose a problem when it comes to the goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom