Green sunfish tank mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumberjack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a green sunfish that is bout 4-5 inches. He lives with a blue crawfish and a pleco (both are rather large) and i was just wondering what tank mates he should have? I had 2 small sunfishes that were about 1.5 inches. They got eaten while i was out of town (guy didnt feed them while i was out) so ever since then ive been a little iffy of what to give him as a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First off we need a tank size. I would say theta depending on filtration and tank size and the current stocking, you are about 75% full. You can use Aqadvisor to help. Ok, a good tank mate would be some pumpkinseed or a couple more sunfish to see some real group behavior. But please give us a tank size, and we would love to see pictures ������

The tank is a 55gallon. Lighting is 3 t8s and filtration is a emperor 400 and aquaclear 300. Pool filter sand substrate and rocks, fake plants. Will post pictures in the morning. My phones camera is broken.

I would add a couple more sunfish of a smaller species, but not so small that the green one can eat them. I have 3 dollar sunfish. They are like pumpkinseed, but a lot smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nice tank!
I kept natives years ago in my 135.
How about a school of minnows ,along with a few other sunnies like mentioned above.

Very cool tank. Having bluegill and other various fish in the lake makes me want a native tank like that:

Caleb

It is important that new additions of sunfish are of a different type from the one you have. If they are the same, your biggest one will become aggressive towards the others. These are mine:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434310279.099061.jpg

Yeah i found him in the lake with lacerations all over him so i took him home and salt treated him and put the tank at 78. He grew really freaking quick and quickly outgrew everything. Its also the lake my tap water comes from so parameters match pretty good.

Where did you get the dollar sunfish? Those are pretty.

My son caught them in the lake. They are even prettier in person and they don't get big. I think about 4". Bluegills get a lot bigger than that. Mine are smart and full of personality. We need to get a couple more and a few other tank mates when we get back from vacation.

Turns out that dollar sunfish are all through out North Carolina. I have many lakes and ponds near my house so im gonna go fishing with some barbless hooks tomorrow or the next day for a friend. If you have any other methods of capture that dont require puncturing i would love to hear it!

I don't think there's other methods. My son caught them with a fishing pole (hook and bait). I can tell you that he was standing at the edge of the lake, where the water was shallow. Deeper areas were yielding bigger fish. I didn't see any wounds on their mouths. I treated the tank with Melafix for a week to help them heal any wounds.

Fish right before a storm/rain for best success :) we do that around here and they come like crazy.

If you hook the fish right it's only a minor mouth injury. If you get one in the throat throw it back or you can take a shot at medicating.

Edit: agree with Mar, I don't know of any other methods as far as catching these fish.

Caleb

I got some type is sunnie. My greenie is showing his stripes and he looked like he is "hissing" at him and flaring his gills out. Should i release the new guy?

He has nipped at him a couple times now. No retaliation.

I caught a large mouth bass that was like 2 pounds. I knew that would be no bueno as a tank mate.

Currently the new guy has found a spot to hide

Back
Top Bottom