Heater or no Heater HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi I have a 27gallon tank that's approx. 129 litres I think. At the moment it is home to 4white cloud minnows, 3danios and 2 platys. I currently don't have a heater having been told by the lfs that platy were temperate fish. Would all these fish be ok if I put a heater in, as I have seen been told that Platys require warm temperatures to florish. The tank they are in seems to be just above room temperature so lukewarm and everyone seems happy and content. Any advice. I don't tend to stock any more fish in this tank as I want them to live out there livespan (menaing I wont replace once they have died with newer fish) I am going to focus on OWNING only fancy goldfish in the future. I have a separate 42 gallon goldie tank. But I would like to keep these guys happy whislt they are under my care and let them have a good life. I like to understock generally so they have loads of swimming space. currents states are PH 7.5, nitrate 20 nitrite 0. They are all in good health no signs of sickness and due a waterchange today.

Emma

white clouds dont, platys and danios do however. Tropical fish with tropical fish, cold water with cold water.

white clouds dont, platys and danios do however. Tropical fish with tropical fish, cold water with cold water.
Aren;t zebra danios for higher altitude plases in india and fine into the high 60's? The platys however I would agree.

If your afraid of heaters you need to not get tropical fish lol

Thats a fairly small tank but 2 smaller heaters is better than 1, or you can get a heater controller/reefkeeper or secondary alarm thermometer.

You seem to take good care of your fish, do you know the actual temp? I would say 72-76 ferinheit would be best.

I was told Danios can go in either by several lfs. i have a coldwater goldie tank but that is full in capcity 3 goldies in a 42 gallon which i will be upgrading two are babies still. I dont think i could put the minnows in with them,as one Black Moor is 6inches he might eat them!!. My tank water feels warm to the touch in the community tank with the platys.And they are used to living without a heater and ive never had any problems with them. I think my tank is quite BIG 27gallons and understocked i would say!!!! The Platys were sold as temperate fish ie able to go in both but i have since learnt that this is not the case. They do seem happy enough tho. Perhaps i could get a heater and keep it on the lower end of the scale 72 i think you have to feed minnows more in warmer water thier metabolic rate goes up. I need to find a happy medium. As dont really want to split danios and minnows up as they all school together. I will get temp and get back to you

Aren;t zebra danios for higher altitude plases in india and fine into the high 60's? The platys however I would agree.

If your afraid of heaters you need to not get tropical fish lol

Thats a fairly small tank but 2 smaller heaters is better than 1, or you can get a heater controller/reefkeeper or secondary alarm thermometer.

You seem to take good care of your fish, do you know the actual temp? I would say 72-76 ferinheit would be best.

Thank you i do care about my fish and if there is a way i can make them happier i will. Even if i have to get a another tank and put minniows on there own. Could someone jsut confirm to me that my 27gallon tank is sufficient for these guys stock wise.

Thank you i do care about my fish and if there is a way i can make them happier i will. Even if i have to get a another tank and put minniows on there own. Could someone jsut confirm to me that my 27gallon tank is sufficient for these guys stock wise.
Yeah 9 2" or less fish in a 27g is just fine.

I would get a digital thermometer and see what your tank actually is at, if it is above 70 I would say your ok, if not I was get a heater and set it to 72-74.

I just read they all can be in min 64F / 17.77C WCMM and Platy as well. Same at the Fancy Goldies. Max 75F / 23.88C

Fancy Goldfish might be happier with a larger space (in the future), as might the Danios with a longer swimming area horizontally. 40G breeder might be great, it is 36" across and is great size for plants and working inside of the tank.

I would get a heater with the built in shut off if it gets too hot. Adequate for the size tank you will be looking to get in the future if it is a similar size. I only will by the heaters which have the feature which breaks the connection is there is a malfunction.

Saw a heater gone wild when I was a kid, not something you ever want to see.

I always used to under size my heaters before this feature came out, or not use them if it was possible like the tank was in the kitchen and stayed warm. In the cold season, you might have a concern.

I am def going to upgrade my Goldie tank to at least 60gallons as i have two male black moor adn the baby is nearly a year old and developing his Tubercles and my poor female Calico fantail is struggling to warn of the advances of the two amourous Blackmoors. The big one would chase but now the baby one is getting in on the act so i will need to upgrade and try get another female in there so they got one gf each lol

Temperature read at 70 so not too bad but im trying to get another tank to house the cloud minnows then il get a heater i think.

Back
Top Bottom