Heating a pond in Colorado winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dane

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have plans to build a pond to house my red tailed cat. The problem being that I live in Colorado and the winters can get bad at times with -20 at night. If you guys have any ideas of how to heat the pond to at least 72 degrees during winter that would be much appreciated. The pond I plan to build would be 12' long 12' wide and 3' deep holding about 2,000 gallons. I'm looking for something with adequate heating and hopefully without making the electric bill through the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if you are going to find something that will heat it to 72* F in that cold of a winter. Most pond heaters only heat a portion of the pond about the size of a dinner plate (for gas exchange) and several do not turn on until they've dropped below 40+ F.

Iv heard of using a heater from a hot tub. I haven't really looked into it but I may need several placed around the pond.

Iv heard of using a heater from a hot tub. I haven't really looked into it but I may need several placed around the pond.

Be careful with this unless your pond is fiberglass/similar make as these type of heaters will melt traditional liners and will be destroyed by typical debris in a pond.

I am honestly not sure what you could consider for heating that will not be extremely expensive. Just a possible consideration would be to build some type of insulated solar/greenhouse type structure over the pond then heat this area. It would be less expensive than trying to maintain a pond at 72f in snow and -20f temps. Just an idea!

That is a very good idea I did even think about that. Now that why I ask on here haha I still may need a heater but not as much thank you

Your enclosed area wouldn't even need to be walk in height all over if you have the right sun exposure. You could make it short over the pond and be able to remove it during the summer.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that way it's not as bulky I'll try out some experiments with the greenhouse this winter see what the temp does. It shouldn't be too long now we may get some snow tonight haha

We use stock tank heaters, but I don't believe they get warm enough for your redtail. Unless you use quite a few, maybe. Our koi, rosy reds, and Goldies do fine.

I wish my red tail was a cold water fish haha that might make things easier

That is a very good idea I did even think about that. Now that why I ask on here haha I still may need a heater but not as much thank you

Let us know how this goes! It's something I have been toying with doing. Not for my fish but to keep my tropical plants alive during the winter without having to bring them inside.

Yeah that way it's not as bulky I'll try out some experiments with the greenhouse this winter see what the temp does. It shouldn't be too long now we may get some snow tonight haha

One of the keys to a successful greenhouse during a frigid winter is a good southern exposure to the sun, if the pond isn't built, I'd look for the place that gets morning and afternoon sun this winter and shoot for that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I'll look for temp and lactation I think what I'll do is start out with small scale I can get greenhouse material and make a small greenhouse then to simulate a pond toss a bowl in there I'll try it without a heater and record the temp then with a heater and then look for locations for the greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom