Help Cycling Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Fellow pond owners, I posted a question in the freshwater section and it was suggested to check in here for some help.....

Not being a newbie to cycling, I have cycled quite a few "normal" sized tanks in my life. Now I am trying to cycle my 600 gallon indoor pond.

I was going to take a shot a cycling with pure ammonia but just could not find any! So I went with fish food and raw shrimp, a method that has always worked for me in the past.

So my pond..... I filled it up, treated with Prime, got the ammonia up to 2.0 and then added Stability in the correct amounts for 8 days...NOTHING! Ammonia stayed at 2.0, never seen nitrites, nitrates would go to 5ppm some days, then back to zero. After 2 weeks or so I took a bunch of gravel, bio media, and sponges from two of my established tanks and placed everything in the wet/dry sump filter. It's been another week and the same exact thing!!! No change!

Does the amount of water usually determine the time to cycle? I know it can take quite some time to cycle but I have been testing every day and it is always the same. Ammonia 2.0, nitrites zero. I am using the API master kit, I know it is good because everything in my other tanks test correct.

Pond specs: 600 gallon, temp 77-78 degrees. 2400GPH pump, 75gal sump.
PH 7.2.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a big fish that needs to start his life in the new pond!!!!

Back
Top Bottom