Help please with tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Morning everyone,
I look after a cycled tank at my work. I looked after two small goldfish last year but sadly over the six weeks holidays the fish died. I told the teachers prior to the holidays they needed to go in and change the water and left instructions on what to do.
So now they have two new ones I tried to talk them out of getting them as they don't look after them and it's left to me.
So before the new fish went in I did a gravel vacuum, Changed the water, added a bolus as suggested by a vet. The tank was left running for nearly two weeks before the fish were added. They have been in a week now.
My question is sorry I have been checking the water level and this is what they are ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is at 5ppm and PH is 7.2. I would think it's due for a water change but as the levels are really good do I still do my weekly partial water change. Or let it sit for bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also added a new carbon as it was due to be changed.
It's only a small tank I have also suggested they get a bigger tank but they won't. It's around 45 litres I would say. It has a running filter and a small layer of rocks.

I also added a new carbon as it was due to be changed.
It's only a small tank I have also suggested they get a bigger tank but they won't. It's around 45 litres I would say. It has a running filter and a small layer of rocks.

OMG ! That's only 11g. Way too small for Goldfish.

Try to talk them into White Cloud Mountain Minnows if they want Coldwater fish.

Any goldfish is doomed to die in that small of a tank. Water changes can only do so much. This is just ignorance and abuse at work again. Not your fault, but perhaps if you present enough facts, the bosses will change their minds.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424812091.645458.jpg

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Thanks for replying. I totally agree with the tank I have tried talking them to getting a bigger one. I am going to look out for a second hand one for them.
What do you think with the water change still perform a small water change this week? I feel sorry for these fish. I have fish of my own and they are in a huge tank just the two of them. I will do my best to look after these two. I give them bloodworms as treats as they are fed only flakes.

Thanks for replying. I totally agree with the tank I have tried talking them to getting a bigger one. I am going to look out for a second hand one for them.
What do you think with the water change still perform a small water change this week? I feel sorry for these fish. I have fish of my own and they are in a huge tank just the two of them. I will do my best to look after these two. I give them bloodworms as treats as they are fed only flakes.

They will definitely need and appreciate the WC's. The more the merrier honestly.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Great thanks heaps.
Will do one tomorrow for them :) thanks for replying

If you put a little heater in there, gold barbs are peaceful fish that look a lot like goldfish, but stay very small.

Some advice needed please.
So today I went to do the water change on the tank I help look after and both fish were sitting on the bottom- I know that's not a good sign.
I tested the water ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 5 and PH 7.2. I think they are stressed because of the new environment and tank size? I performed the water change only a small change. They became active when I left swimming around. Their filter was turned off so I turned that back on. What else can I do? I don't think they will get a bigger tank I will keep an eye out for a bigger second hand one.

Do you use liquid test kit or strips? The strips can be highly unreliable thus giving inadequate results

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Hello I use the liquid test kits the API brand.

Do they look like they are having trouble breathing. Could be caused by a lack of oxygen in the tank. Esp as surface area will be small for a 11gallon. Really the only thing you can do is get a bigger tank for them. Or get the school to return to LFS. Otherwise its just cruelty. Play that to the school.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Hi thanks for replying. No they don't Seem to be having trouble breathing. Should I add an air bubbler anyway? I actually look after two fish tanks at my work the teachers get these pets and don't bother to care for them. The other tank is much bigger with three goldfish they need a bigger one also I did upgrade that one not long ago they seem much happier :) My work also has a large bird aviary that I also look after busy busy. Love animals I hate seeing them suffer :-/

Back
Top Bottom