Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help: Swim bladder in a stunted goldfish.

Hello, I rescued some goldies about three years ago, Gus and Fred were the only survivors. Gus is fine, and has nearly doubled in size. Fred was horribly stunted and hasn't grown at all. He has always been special, but only swam upside down sometimes. Now he swims upside down a lot, and has recently been having buoyancy issues to the point where he is floating upside down most of the time. They are in a 55 gallon running two aquaclear 70's. Ammo - 0, No2 - 0, No3 5ppm. I have salted the tank, and started Melafix as he also had a red sore on his chest. I feed Hikari sinking pellets once a day and frozen blood worms and cucumbers from time to time. I have not given him peas yet, but that is next on the list.

What else should I try? Does starving for a couple days really help?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The Melafix is helping the sore, it's hardly visible at the moment, also he is still floating at the top today, but is upright at least.

Stefernini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've read sometimes just stick a syringe needle in and remove the air that way, I would think that would hurt I wouldn't want to be stuck.

than theirs this method

Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I personally wouldn't recommend using a syringe needle unless you're an animal health professional cuz it'd be difficult to tell if you're aiming in the right area (I don't even know if that's an option, never heard about it till now). It happens often that some of my goldfish (two of them in particular) get overexcited at feeding time and gulp so much air they end up floating on the top (upright). In the beginning I was concerned, but this has been going on for years now and they always just poop the air bubbles out. Then again they are not stunted as far as I know...otherwise I have heard there is usually success with the shelled peas combined with a couple days' fasting beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am so not comfortable sticking him. I would be way too afraid of hitting the wrong thing. Anyway, he is upside down almost all the time the last couple days. I am on day two of starving him and then I will give him peas.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know why I said Hikari, I feed New Life Spectrum sinking pellets.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

He's now been stuck upside down for a month. He has been unable to swim down from the top for two weeks. I've been feeding repashy and giving epsom salt baths for a week with no change. He just floats there until he sees me, then we waddles across the top to the front wanting food. He has started developing sores on his belly from exposure. I'm at a loss.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, stunted, swim bladder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com