how do you guys clean the bottom of the pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotcholi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I finally dug up a pond for myself around 500 gal. I'm thinking eventually dirts and debrises will settle at the bottom. How do you guys clean the bottom of your pond? TIA.

Hi robotcholi~

Welcome to the wonderful world of ponding!!
The way I "use" to clean the bottom of my pond was with my "python" aquarium cleanier. Works great. Except my rocks in the bottom were in the way.
So, this past fall I removed "all" the rocks that were in the bottom of the pond.
Now it's a bare bottom pond with bottom drains.
I've heard you can also vacum it with a shopvac.
I've only done this when the pond was empty, no water (works great that way)
Hope that helps.

thx pondmom,
my pond is almost done :) so happy
i've have decided to go 1000+ instead of 500 hehe :)
I can't wait to get it done and get some Koi before christmas :)

Yup, got me a wet/dry shopvac, going to try that this spring. My pond got a lot of leaves in it this year, I expect a major mess!

Yes I do have a de-icer. It's usefulness here in Maryland is debatable, as the pond rarely freezes over for more than a couple days. Actually, last year it went on the fritz during/after the blizzard (you're in PA I'm sure you had it too) and the pond stayed frozen over for close to a month. I lost no fish, so far as I know.

At work in our display ponds, I ended up cleaning 27 dead koi from the upper pond that froze over because the heater went on the blink. A very, very, very messy and smelly procedure.

This is a very controversial issue, many like to put 2-3" Round Gravel 4 Inches Deep, others simply despise it. I personally, Like it, but I dont mind working in it every 2 years and cleaning it. The great thing about gravel is that when debris gets worked into it, it slowly decomposes, leaving you with little to no debris left over, except for a little sludge. It really is a decision of the designer. If you cover every part of your liner with rocks, it will last alot longer due to no U.V. rays bouncing off of the liner and decomposing it. Although 45 mil liner last 20-25 years before having to replace it anyways, so it isnt a big deal. If you are new to this, I would suggest not putting gravel in the bottom. It will make any cleanings that you may have to do in the future easier, without having to worry about puncturing the liner with the gravel in the bottom, along with the tools you will use to take out the rock to clean it. If you think you can handle the little bit of extra work, I would add rock to the bottom not only for aesthetic reasons, but also there is a high level of biological activity that exists inside of the gravel spaces.

Just a thought.....

ok does the liner run from the top of the pond to the bottom (like a swimming pool liner

My 30x30 piece ran me about $350 3 years ago( I also purchased my skimmer, purifalls and a few other items at this time)
Today I see it sells for $378
I paid under $200 for my 15x25 piece less than 6 months ago from them.

I've checked w/HD and they were extremely high.

Home Depot is horrible as far as liner is concerned. I believe it is only 25 mil thick, and guaranteed for 10 years. And as far as you are concerned The_Tominater, yes, you want to allow a few extra feet on each side of the pond worth of liner, along with going all the way to the bottom and up the other side, again leaving a few extra feet around the perimeter of the pond. The one way to calculate liner size is:

Maximum Length, Plus 2 X Maximum Depth, Plus 2 Feet

-and then-

Maximum Width, Plus 2 X Maximum Depth, Plus 2 Feet

Or, you can run a tape measure from one end, down along the sides, over the bottom, and back up the other side, doing this for both width and length.
You may want to check the link that PondMom gave, or check www.eponds.com. They usually will give you free shipping on all orders over $25. Check around, patience is a virtue. Sometimes, I tell my customers that:

The bitterness of poor quality long remains after the sweetness of a low price is forgoten. Check around, and then check back here and let me know how it goes! :)

Just A Thought...

i dont want a pond that is in the ground i was think of building an above ground pond

ok here is my design

5 foot wide 9 foot long 3 foot high
2inch by 2inch square tubing frame
1inch by 2inch rectangle tubing for vertical supports
inside the frame grinded down sheet medal so there isnt any sharp edges
all welded except for the corners those will be bolted to gether
a 45 mil rectangle linner to go inside
dirt under neath to add support
pebbles to go in the bottom about 4 inches deep
add some plants (thinking)
add some fish (thinking)
some trees that hang over the pond