How to filter a double pond? (couple thousand gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
there are two ponds that are connected by a small stream in our back yard with black liner. the top pond is probably 7' in diameter and 3' deep and there is a 5' stream that feeds to the bottom pond which is maybe 8' in diameter and about 4' deep. there is a bed of pea gravel on the bottom covered with mud that has accumulated. Our water is very hard and there are a lot of plants surrounding it. It keeps fish and frogs very well.]

What is a good way to filter these ponds? right now the water is totaly green with maybe 1' max visibility. Im trying to help my parents get there pond clean so you can see the fish swimming, not just coming up to eat.

What it has now... a mag 18 pump, a 20 gallon filter box and a pump that pumps water from the bottom pump to the top.

I have never dealt with ponds before so i guess i am a noob, but i do have SW and FW aquarium experience.

What do people use to make crystal clear ponds?

I would think you would need a filter for both parts of the pond. I am not an expert by any means but it would make sense. But I can tell you I would LOVE to see pics!

well both ponds feed into each other. there is a pump that pumps the water to the upper pond, then the upper pods trickles through a mini stream to the bottom. every time i walk by it there are atleast 15 frogs the yelp then jump in. once, we saw a full size bull frog eating a bird.... hahaha we though a bird died and fell into the pond. when we tried to pull it out, a frog was hanging on with part of the bird in its mouth.

I have class and work all day tomorrow (9am-10pm) ugh, almost done with my degree! but i might have time/daylight on Tuesday to get some pics taken

What kind of filtration is currently being used? Any idea on water parameters? Nitrogen (in all our favorite flavors) and phosphates are the big players in the pond world, but aren't always solely to blame. Depending on your budget, you can go the barley straw route (cheapest) or the UV route (more pricey). Personally, I would suggest going with a UV sterilizer. Barley straw, while cheap enough to try just for trying's sake, is still a highly debated algae treatment. A 50lb bale costs ~$14.00USD depending on the vendor. Depending on the actual volume of the pond and the plumbing situation, you can get a UV setup from $100 and up. Before you spend any big bucks though, test to make sure the water parameters are in good shape. A lot of algae problems come from really simple things that don't necessarily require techno-gadgetry to remedy.

I would agree with Zac. It sounds as though though you have free-floating algae. If the water is green and the bottom of the pond can't be seen, a UV sterilizer will clear it up. To cut down on the amount of algae clinging to the sides of the pond, add floating surface covering plants to cover about 50 percent of the waters surface. This will help to block the direct sunlight. Elodea(Anacharis) will compete with the algae for nutrients as well as provide additional oxygenation for your pond. I use it as a floating plant as it grows rapidly to very long lengths while it creates new stems. Be sure to perform regular cleaning maintenance on the filter.

Back
Top Bottom