In the process of building a small pond...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really diggin the "almost black" water lily. I'm thinking about planting some hosta and canna lilies along with some blue irises around the pond. I have a tropical red star plant that I placed near it but it has taken a bad turn for the worse; it's faded to a greenish yellow color. Too much sun, perhaps? I'm gonna move it to a shady spot to see if it does any better.

Hostas do great around a pond and can tolerate being potted on shelf in the pond, too. Super hardy perennials!! Mint and impatiens also do well around and in the pond. Just keep in mind cannas will only be annuals unless you plan on digging them up and bringing them inside when the temps get near 50f. There are quite few terrestrial lilies though that can tolerate freezing and will return every spring (same as the hardy pond lilies). :)

UPDATE

just thought if give an update to the pond...it's coming along really slowly due to the fact that I can only work on it one day a week. But it's up and running, it's just a matter of foaming in the waterfall to guide the water. I'm super happy with the results so far! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410149396.375971.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410149476.444836.jpg

Thanks! That means a lot. I've spent a lot of time on this thing, and I really enjoy it! I can't wait to add plants and foliage.

Probably just some comet goldfish and a pleco...love those guys!

My uncle might be able to get us two free koi fish from our local landscaping store that has an overstocked stock tank with koi, but we'll see how that goes, and my pond is fairly small for koi.

That would be a fun and cool idea! The results are always awesome.

I'll have to be sure to do lots of pictures. As for now my 2 gars are only 7-8 inches so I have some time to plan ahead for this

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah that will give you some time. I'd love to see photos whenever you get started.

Good job! That's going to make a nice home for your comets. What size pump are you using? Is there a separate pump for the water feature shown on the right side of the second pic? I see you've got plenty of ledges for marginal plants. You may be able to plant dwarf sag in open spaces in the water fall. It is cold hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom