Interest is small outside pond...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a very small area in my front yard that I have used as a butterfly/hummingbird garden for the last few years, but this year it kinda petered out on me due to the heat and lack of rain early on. I think it would be a fantastic place to put a pond with small fountain. It is an area that is more triangular in shape and is probably at least 6-8' at its widest point. What would be involved in turning this area into an outdoor pond. What supplies, equipment, etc., would I need. I would also want to stock it with fish at some point as well, of course :rolleyes:....The temps here in NC can get into the teens in the winter, so that needs to be kept in mind also.
Would love/appreciate any help/suggestion/ideas for it.
Thanks.
I will send some pictures of the area I am talking about when I can get a few moments to do it.

Hi Dottie,
Probably the easiest for such a small area would be a pre-form pond. They can be a bit tricky to dig a hole for but are easy to care for. You just want to make sure the pond is deep enough below the frost line (32-36") that the fish have a place to go in the winter. Over wintering is pretty easy really. In the fall you want to be feeding them a low protien food and stop feeding them all together once the water temps get, I believe, below 50F. Keep your pump/filter running during the winter to keep oxygen moving in the water during thier dormant period.
As for equipment, since it will be a smaller pond you can get those pond fountain kits with pump and filter included pretty resonable. Especially this time of year while all the summer outdoor things are on sale. I used to worry about my ponds getting over heated in the summer but the fish haven't seemed to mind and my ponds have been in the high 80's. Some floating plants or lilies help shade them and give them some security.
I feel I should warn you though, most ponds don't thrive as well the first year or two. You'll have lots of algae and murky water, especially if the pond is out in the open. Once you get through that though, your golden.

We had a pond, and it was about the size you were describing. The fish didn't make it through the winter for me, but loved Spring, Fall, and Summer. Then again I live in Iowa, and our winters can get into the teens, too.

Hi Dottie,
Probably the easiest for such a small area would be a pre-form pond. They can be a bit tricky to dig a hole for but are easy to care for. You just want to make sure the pond is deep enough below the frost line (32-36") that the fish have a place to go in the winter. Over wintering is pretty easy really. In the fall you want to be feeding them a low protien food and stop feeding them all together once the water temps get, I believe, below 50F. Keep your pump/filter running during the winter to keep oxygen moving in the water during thier dormant period.
As for equipment, since it will be a smaller pond you can get those pond fountain kits with pump and filter included pretty resonable. Especially this time of year while all the summer outdoor things are on sale. I used to worry about my ponds getting over heated in the summer but the fish haven't seemed to mind and my ponds have been in the high 80's. Some floating plants or lilies help shade them and give them some security.
I feel I should warn you though, most ponds don't thrive as well the first year or two. You'll have lots of algae and murky water, especially if the pond is out in the open. Once you get through that though, your golden.
Thanks for the advice, Cindy! When you say they don't thrive well the first year or two, does that mean not to stock them with fish during that period to get the pond established, or it's just hard to keep them running properly for the first two years? Where it will be in my hard will have some shaded morning sun, pretty direct mid day sun, and indirect after noon sun and in the evening no direct sun at all.

I only mean that it takes some time to really establish. You'll go through major algae issues no doubt but with some shade, it shouldn't be to bad. I know my plants didn't thrive the first year but I've had them for years now and have had to seperate them numerous times as they spread etc. I would stock the pond with a few fish. Test often and do water changes as needed. Adding plants really helps with the cycling. I bought feeder goldies for mine and they love to eat algae. :) After a year or two, the plants do better, the fish typically start spawning and barring any disasters, should be pretty self sustaining. Except for moving my bog plants to the bottom of the pond in winter to keep them below the frost line, my ponds pretty much take care of themselves now.

Back
Top Bottom