Just getting started with Ranchus. 55 gallon for a trio?? Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawaii_Toast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy, I just joined the forums! :flowers:

I currently have no fish, but am doing my research. It will be several months before I can even consider bringing fish into my life, especially considering this whole corona pandemic... :nono:

My current thoughts:

**I would like a trio of Ranchu goldfish. I am worried however, about fights breaking out. I would really rather have either all females, or all males, because I don't want any breeding to happen. However, will a trio of males fight each other? Am I better off getting a trio of females? In either situation, how common do fights break out? If at all. I have heard goldfish are rather peaceful, and I've read fancy goldfish are quite sociable and shouldn't be kept alone. I also don't know if male or female ranchus behave any differently based on sex. Also, if anyone here keeps males and females together, do the females get stressed by males trying to breed them or is not an issue?

**Would a 55 gallon be sufficient space for a trio of adult ranchus? More? I am not wanting to go below a 55 gallon really; the more the merrier.

**I've also read on some fishkeeping websites that they can be kept ideally between 64-71 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this accurate?

I'm just taking small steps for now; I know they will need a good filtration system and a light among other things. But I will worry about asking these questions further in the future so as not to overwhelm myself aha :D

1. I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to tell the difference in gender since all goldfish (unless you go to a lfs) will be juveniles.

2. Ranchus tend to be more peaceful, it's the orandas that are jerks.

3. Ranchus can get up to 8" but I think in most aquariums they will only get around 5". If you aren't comfortable with that or think they won't be happy or get overcrowded then there are other fancies that stay smaller. I believe the method of calculating the biggest fish you pit in there is by taking the width and dividing it by two. So if you have a standard 55 gallon the width is 12" you can have 6" fish in there. Of course that isn't taking activity or waste levels into account.

4. Yes cooler temperatures are better with goldfish. If you try to keep them in a tropical community they will be more "messy". Either way I highly recommend buying the strongest canister filter you can and doing plenty of water changes.

There is no need to worry about breeding. If they do breed, the eggs will be eaten by the parents.

Back
Top Bottom