moving fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathyrae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a large Koi pond. When I was emptying it last summer, I found some babies. I set up a 10gal tank to raise them as they were the size of my pinky nail. They are bigger now so I bought a 36 gal acquarium and also bought 4 small HighFins to raise bigger for the pond.

My water got bad (high nitrate) and I lost 2 of the highfins. I have set up the 36 gal tank now. Put 2/3 healthy pond water, tap water and some from the 10 gal tank...it has been running for 10 days now. I have been regulaly adding bacteria, amazon rain, declor etc.

I have done partial water changes in the 10 gal tank over the last week, added bacteria, amazon rain, declor etc. The water is getting better but I want to move the fish into the new tank now.

Is it safe to do that yet? Can I take fish out of a toxic tank and put them in another tank? I need help.....anybody know how to help me not loose any more fish.

Many years ago I had a 100 gal fresh water tank and can't remember much.

Thanks in advance and look forward to getting to know you all.
Kathy

move the filter from the 10 gallon over to the 36 gallon tank and keep testing the tank. the old water doesnt help much just water change with fresh clean water.

I'm sorry I'm not understanding what you are saying. What does moving the 10 gal filter to the 36 gal tank do? What filter would I use on the 10gal tank? When can I move the fish?

I added a little of the 10 gal water to the 36 gal to get some water in common with where the fish were. Probably no benefit? Maybe will contaminate new tank?

When I do move the fish to the 36 gal tank. should I put them in something and add water from the new tank gradually before I release them into the new tank? or just catch them in a net and move them directy? Can they go from toxic water to clean water that quickly?

Thanks again for your help.
Kathy

the bacteria live in the old filter, the bacteria are beneficial twoards getting the new tank set up much quicker.

got it....do you know when I can move the fish?

10 gal tank readings: PH 7.5, amonia 1.2, nitrite 1.6 and nitrate about 90+

new 36 gal tank: PH 7.2, amonia 0, nitrite .3, nitrate 5

do you know what the reading on the new tank should be before I put the fish in?

You are so helpful....I have spent countless hours reading and could not get any of this information.

move the filter and fish right away dont move any more water around. ammonai and nitrites should read zero. looks like you need to water change the tank more often.

The fish survived the move and are eating happily this morning. Thank you for the help, it eased my worries about if I was doing the right thing. I would never have thought to move the old filter over, great suggestion.
Kathyrae

just keep a eye on the tank and keep testing. dont be afraid to do often major water changes. nothing wrong with 75%-90% water change to keep ammonia and nitrites at zero.

how big is your pond? i am guessing it has some kind of shade over it.

No shade over it, it's close to my house and the water fall is at the back of my yard with a stream coming accross the yard to the pond. My house is 2 story and by 2:00 in the afternoon the house shades the pond. It is about 12' x 16' and 4' deep with plant shelves. I have lots of pond lillies and plants for shade. It has a powerful pump and uv filtration system and the water fall, stream action keeps it airrated pretty well, in 110 degree weather the water isn't very cool but good enough as I have only lost a few fish in the last 9 years. I'll attemp to attach a few pictures. My daughter got married in the back yard last Nov, I think there are a few shots with the pond and waterfall in the background. I cut and pasted some pictures to attempt a panoramic view of the pond in the yard and I think one of those is attached as well. I call my yard my meditation garden....quite peaceful there when nobody is around. I love my back yard and my pond.
Kathy

Attachments

• 116-1694_img_edited.jpg
    116-1694_img_edited.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 005_edited.jpg
    Picture 005_edited.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 019.jpg