Much needed advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammi4688

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I had a 60 litre tank I got for my birthday in June, since then we've had just one fish transferred from a smaller tank previously owned. We decided today to add 3 more small fish, we took some water to the pet shop to be tested to ensure it was ok and all was fine.
We chose a lion head, a black moor and a shubunkin- all advised by the staff member would be okay with each other in our tank and with the fish we already have.
On bringing them home we have added them and our current fish seems to chasing the others around and trying to "nip" them on their tails and fins. I've googled and phoned the shop and both have said it's territorial which I can understand and to leave it for 24 hours. We're keeping an eye on them but she's seems to be going after the black moor more? Anyone experienced this?

We're going to go back to the pet shop tomorrow to purchase some plants as Google says it allows the fish somewhere to explore and i don't necessarily want to say 'hide' because I don't want them to be scared however can't think of the right word ?
Any advice welcome x

60 litres or 15 gallons is pretty small for multiple goldfish. Even fancy goldfish can get pretty big and produce a lot of waste.

It does have a filter system? We asked the lady at the pet shop and she said it would be ok?
We've also changed the food from flakes to little pellets on her advice as she said they aren't as messy.

I believe the standard rule of thumb is 20 gallons for 1 gold fish, and 10 for each additional

Dont get advice from the staff from pet stores. Some will know a lot but most will just try to sell fish. Always research before buying.
Black moor goldfish can get anywhere from 6-8 inches (15-20cm), lionhead goldfish get around 5 inches (13cm) and shubunkin can get up to 9-18 inches (23-46cm)
Black moor and lionhead goldfish require a tank size of at least 20-30 gallons 75-113 litres for the 1 and add 10 gallons (37 liters) per additional fish.

Oh no feel bad now. They seemed to have settled down slightly now, may just have to look at getting a bigger tank once they start growing.

It's ok, everyone makes mistakes...especially with bad advice from misinformed store employees. In the meantime you should keep up with water changes until you can get a bigger tank. Even with a filter goldfish are still big waste producers.

Had to seperate my original goldfish from my newer ones as she is making the black Moore appear extremely stressed. We're thinking if this continues, this may need to be a permanent thing. Would a single goldfish need a pump in the tank?

This thread is a great way to understand about the size of the tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Also your beneficial bacteria if you have an established filter pad, will not be prepared for 3 or 4 extra fish and all their waste.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

And just to have a good article for the basics you already have an aquarium, but this information is like the building blocks so I wanted to include it. You will probably find out some really useful new information!
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Also if you have a larger net you can put the GF which is upset about the new guests into it for a period of time, as a "time out" Plants and other areas for fish to go may help.

But I would return the Black Moor if that is the one being picked on. You already have plenty of fish for this tank.

Back
Top Bottom