My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought jumbo was a term used for any large koi over a certain size. Apparently there is more to it than that. For the OP’s pond and from a cost perspective, “non-jumbo” might be best. “Tosai” refers to a fish born the current year. As per post #2 from the following link: Koiphen
”Jumbo has nothing to do with the size of the Tosai. A true Jumbo Tosai comes from parent Koi that are truly what is considered Jumbo. These would be Koi 34" and over so, if the parent Koi are both 30" but the Tosai are 12" at 6 months, they are still NOT Jumbo Tosai. They are just 'large' for their age but will probably never achieve 'Jumbo' size.
Marketing 'hype' is usually what you get when the word 'Jumbo' is used for Tosai. This is why knowing a breeder and the parent stock is important.”

Oh. I will have two goldfish in my pond. Drained it down and thought I got them all, but a week later I see two orange specs. Then they moved, so I hooked the filter back up and the tropical rain finally filled the pond back up.

Added a temporary pre-filter in preparation for adding a flacculent to solve the pea soup water algae. Will be ordering matala sponge media eventually. Seems to be working. It's a pool filter I bought on clearance with a pipe with large cut outs in the middle to make it work with the filter cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom