My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I've finally purchased proper filter media after a couple years now. Haha. I got 4 half sheets of matala off Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 53
Added filter media to my filter today! Update on fish - apparently there was a male and female in the pond so now I have at least 5 decent sized goldies in there and numerous fingerlings swimming around in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 57
Feels great to finally have decent mechanical filtration on the pond. I have plenty of bio balls in the barrel but up to this point practically no sponges. I now have 6 layers (9 inches!) of matala sponges ranging from the black coarse to gray fine.

Should be interesting to see how much the pick up.

I originally had 4 sheets but I piecemealed two more layers and wedged them between the whole circles. Flow seems steady and about the same. Next step is hydra crystal and a fine filter cloth to clear up the water.

Yeah there's at least 3 dozen babies. I think what happened was the cold rain caused all of the particles in the water column to settle. I hope I'm wrong and the filter is responsible.

Seeing this makes me want to do a pond in front of my house so bad! Lol. I’m in Hartford, CT so winters can be brutal, but if I had infront electricity is easily accessed that’s a plus side.

Great work though! Looks amazing.

Seeing this makes me want to do a pond in front of my house so bad! Lol. I’m in Hartford, CT so winters can be brutal, but if I had infront electricity is easily accessed that’s a plus side.

Great work though! Looks amazing.

A doughnut heater and a depth of about 3' will be your best bets.

Another thing about the front yard. Be mindful of your local laws. Many places don't allow ponds in the front yard over certain depth because they're a hazard for small children.

Thank you, yeah I figured as much. I own my house but it’s apart of some housing rules so we have a lot of limits. Strict about most things so I already know I better call first. Thanks again!

Love that you are still plugging away and making improvements. Still inspiring for me to see.

Not sure my house situation is good for a pond inground but maybe an alternative option. I miss my little 125g pond but happy I didn't have it going because of outside circumstances killing off my spare time.

Seeing many people setting up ponds & I will have to be content with others work. Thank you for sharing your journey with the community. It will help me get through the pondless time.

Are you going with chicken food for excess fish babies? Are the black looking ones changing color or staying black?

Back
Top Bottom