Natural Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently constructed a new pond. It consists of an upper pond, circle 8' diamter x 2' deep i the middle, and a lower pond 12'x6'x3'. The water will be pumped from the bottom of the lower pond, to the upper pond, and fall as a waterfall into the lower pond. Since the upper pond is in the back, it would be almost pointless to put fish in there since they would not be readily viewable. Also, I think they would be constantly falling over the edge. I was wondering if I could fill the upper pond with plants and bricks to provide structure for bacteria and use it as a giant natural filter. Is this doable, or is this just a crazy idea?

I was wondering if I could fill the upper pond with plants and bricks to provide structure for bacteria and use it as a giant natural filter. Is this doable, or is this just a crazy idea?

It is doable, go for a mix of floaters, submerged, and marginal plants. this, along with the bricks will make for a good bio/plant filter.

2 other things you mentioned regarding the fish, you need some up in the top pond, or you will have mosquitos breeding in there, even if the water moves fairly well. they will find areas of slack water to lay eggs, and the wigglers will survive and hatch into adults. Also, your worry about them going over the edge, I think it's rather unlikely. Even a no-brain goldfish (I have penty of them) are smart enough to not get sucked over the waterfall.

Ok, thanks for the advice about mosquitos. I would never have thought of them breeding up there. I'll try it out and tell you how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom