Need help with poud please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok my aunt has just put a pond in around 75g to 100g and doesn't know the frist thing about one. Now I don't either really but I promised to help her with it. I'm needing some help getting the water clean and keeping it clean. What kinda pump ,filter,heater. Does a pond need?
Where nd how sould it be set-up?

Total newbie to pouds. I've got tanks from you know where but never tryed my hand at a pond. Please anything I can make , do,learn. I will try. Also anything ya'll can tell me on how to take care of it I'll learn how to do.
Thanks before hand for any an all repiles and info.

Tips from me, 1) add salt, look for pond salt and get it in there, 2) give them shelter/cover out of sunlight 3) make sure there are as few dead plants or leaves in the pond, 4) when adding a fish the day after adding 1or2 i add another bag of salt for 2 weeks the do water changes to get it out( but keep at least 1 bag all the time i add another for the winter), ( im keen on the salt thing) 5) Get a OASE filtorclear with UV its the best thing i have ever got for my pond highly recommend it, errrm i cant think of anything else of the top of my head, but if i do il let you now ( remember it needs to cycle ( the filter will provide the stuff u need with it, well my 1 did) so dont just add fish lol oo plants are gd lol) gd luck il try and find out what make my heater is, gd luck ( iv had a pond for 6 years so finally i actually now something and can help, makes a change lol)

Actually i have lots of plants and they dont mind AT ALL, as i said i have salt in my pond all year round. ( just check the back of the pack if it mentions anything about plants other than that imo its fine to have the salts in for 6 years my plants have not mind)

I dont now what you mean, but a good filter is a external filter that the has an output to a waterfall or cascade this helps to add oxygen and looks gd, the 1 i suggested is good because as well as amazing filtering the pump is in the pond and the filter is outside but unlike most filters it dose not need to be lower than the pond, you can place it anywhere you wont and it can be set up to connect to a cascade HTH

I must first tell you this size pond is not suitable for koi. Common goldfish are an excellent choice. They are hardy fish with ability to withstand a wide range of temps. The type of filter, easy to maintain and best for waterfalls would be a pressurized external cannister with a built in UV sterilizer to kill free floating algae. Cyprio Bioforce, Fishmate are some good brands.They require an internal debri handling water pump. At AZponds.com you will find a large selection of these filters at a great prices.I use the Cyprio Bioforce filter and Titan pump. To help reduce problem algae it is recommended to have half the surface covered with floating surface plants. Underwater potted plants especially elodea will produce the most oxygen beneficial to fish. Plants will compete with algae for nutrients,another reason to have adequate plants. If in your area you experience freezing temps, your pond will require a De-icer to keep a portion of the surface from freezing so that noxous gases can escape. Once temps in winter go below 50 degrees you no longer feed your fish.Their metabolism slows and they can no longer properly digest food.In the spring and fall a diet of wheat germ is necessary,easily digestable and strentghens their immune systems. If I missed something I will post again.

Thanks all, I'll start getting everything togeather for the test. so to say. LOL

Back
Top Bottom