New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfie101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I've set up a new aquarium for my goldfish. It's been left to stand for five days. The nitrite level is roughly 0.8. I've just put in the tank a fully cycled old external filter as well as the new one. How long will it take to clear the nitrite with the old filter attached now? Will it be safe for my x3 fan tails aprox 6cm in size. 160 litre tank. Obviously I'll retest b4 they go in. It has left the 64l aquerum without filter. The air pump is still running. If I could have some quick replys that would be great.

Many thanks

The nitrite should clear within a couple of days, however depending on how strong the filters are etc

Do a large water change on the new tank to reduce nitrite to zero them add fish and old/ seeded filter to the new tank. Don't leave your fish without a filter. The cycled filter will almost instantly cycle the new tank.

Do a large water change on the new tank to reduce nitrite to zero them add fish and old/ seeded filter to the new tank. Don't leave your fish without a filter. The cycled filter will almost instantly cycle the new tank.

Leaving the fish without a filter shouldn't be too much of a problem, they're goldfish!

Leaving the fish without a filter shouldn't be too much of a problem, they're goldfish!

Jacob, its a myth that goldfish can live without filtration. Because of that myth, many people believe that 1 or 2 years is a normal lifespan for goldfish. But if housed in a large tank with good filtration, they will live 15-20 years or so.

Jacob, its a myth that goldfish can live without filtration. Because of that myth, many people believe that 1 or 2 years is a normal lifespan for goldfish. But if housed in a large tank with good filtration, they will live 15-20 years or so.

Thanks! I never knew that! Learn something new everyday;)

Back
Top Bottom