New Coldwater Build for Pierce McBubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411504949.445825.jpg. It is REALLY HARD to get a picture of Either One of these guys... I tried many times to take a pic without flash but they all blurred... So I turned on the flash and actually got Both!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My Wonderful Wife surprised me today, when she asked if we could get another Shubunkin! We found a Beautiful Yellow Shubunkin at the LPS and I took my time Acclimating "Her" for about an hour. Shortly after putting her in the tank, she and Pierce were checking each other out at swimming all over the tank together... I may get another Dojo Tomorrow and then stop for a while. Decided that I would not go with the Hillstream Loach, but still thinking about a school of Zebra Danio or White Cloud Mountain Minnow, but I think that would be about it. Don't want to overstock, especially with 2 goldfish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411783278.668721.jpg

This is Pierce with his new friend Savannah!! (Yellow Shubunkin).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411783404.504082.jpg
This is Jin with his new friend Yuki. (Another Golden Dojo Loach)

Need Input and Suggestions Please

Thank you Autumnsky and Niki86! I had never seen a Yellow Shubunkin, but knew when my Wife saw her, she would Fall in Love!! I got the second Dojo Loach from a large fish store hoping it was more of the Pink color but the lighting was poor in the tank... She looks a Lot Like Jin, but is smaller.

Now, I am trying to figure out how much more I can add without Over Stocking the 75g.

I am running a Fluval 406 (with addition of Seachem Purigen Media) & Marineland Emperor 400 (with addition of Marineland Diamond Blend Media). Also have a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 for additional Circulation (and aeration during maintenance). I also have 2 21" Aqueon Flexible LED bubble wands through the center, a 12" air stone in the back, a Top Fin Dragon with Airstone in mouth and a 1.5" glass airstone in the Top Fin Pagoda(which bubbles out little hole at top of crack) Lots of Bubbles!!

I want a school of fish to move throughout the center and top level of the tank. White Cloud Mountain Minnows may be a bit too small, when the 2 "couples" get bigger... Zebra Dannio?... Blood Fin Tetra? Rosy Barbs or Gold Barbs? No Fin Nippers Wanted!! Was considering Hillstream Loach, but they need too much current... Plecos? Too many bottom feeders... ???

I like unique and different, but want a Peaceful Community, Without Overstocking my 75 gallons.

Any Thoughts???? :thanks:

Last edited:
Maybe a rubber lip Pleco info says lower water temps I have read lower than what live aquaria is stating, around 67F. They are from up in mountain areas. Though maybe more research for that. I would say you have some room for a little group of other fish...now what kind?

You might do a few male guppies with amazing tails. They can deal with cool water. I am interested in this topic too as my mom is going to be planning a tank soon and she loves the fancy Goldies (haven't decided what yet :brows: ).

Thank You Autumnsky...

I did not think it would be difficult having a Coldwater Aquarium (Just don't add a heater:blink:), but keeping the temperature low enough is concerning me. The past week has been great with cool temps in the 60's and windows open, but the weather warmed up again and the tank temperature is creeping up to 77.5 again :onfire:

I have the front of the glass canopies propped up to allow for some evaporative cooling and the cealing fan is on high. Unfortunately, the room we have the tank in gets up to 80 degrees on a warm day, even with AC set to 73.

Personally if I were you I'd skip on adding anymore fish, once these ones get big they will fulfill you desire to have a peaceful community.

But if you do go with a school of fish I would skip any barb as I believe they are all fun nippers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally if I were you I'd skip on adding anymore fish, once these ones get big they will fulfill you desire to have a peaceful community.

But if you do go with a school of fish I would skip any barb as I believe they are all fun nippers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Niki,
I was thinking about that. Once all 4 of them get big and as well as they get along... It would be Awesome!

I have read that Rosey and Gold Barbs are a bit Less aggressive then others, but I really don't want to risk it. I had Gourami a long time ago and it Stressed me out when they chased and nipped eachother.

Maybe about 6-8 Zebra Dannios to add upper tank movement and that little sparkle from their eyes and Done!

Thank you Niki,
I was thinking about that. Once all 4 of them get big and as well as they get along... It would be Awesome!

I have read that Rosey and Gold Barbs are a bit Less aggressive then others, but I really don't want to risk it. I had Gourami a long time ago and it Stressed me out when they chased and nipped eachother.

Maybe about 6-8 Zebra Dannios to add upper tank movement and that little sparkle from their eyes and Done!

Maybe some Leopard Danios, Fire Ring Danios they all are around 72F min. or Giant Danios.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412040566.093409.jpg
Ok, thanks to my Amazing Wife, we now have all the fish we want in our aquarium... 2 Shubunkin, 2 Gold Dojo Loach and a School of 8 Boesemani Rainbow Fish. The Rainbows add an Amazing splash of moving Blue, Orange and Silver!!

Anyone know anything about Boesemanie Rainbowfish?

Why yes! They are quite beautiful... Congratulations on a beautiful tank. Just check for a few days on your parameters to make sure everything is level (proper numbers) :flowers:

I have a pair, recently acquired a couple months back. I like them a lot! Have been reading a little about them, still learning.

They are a Very Cool Fish!!! We have a couple Males that went from pail to realy Dark Blue when I introduced a few females!! I had no idea they could change color like that.

They are a Very Cool Fish!!! We have a couple Males that went from pail to realy Dark Blue when I introduced a few females!! I had no idea they could change color like that.

Mine have the color changing thing too. They have bars on their sides one minute then they don't. Dark blue light blue!

Back
Top Bottom